MH question

mick77

I found out my new light for Christmas are from www.aquaticlight.com Has anybody ordered MH from them before? I'm getting 2 250W, but I don't know what type of bulb to get (brand, color, etc.). Also, I'm afraid my canopy doesn't sit high enough. Right now, my VHOs sit about 11" from the top of the water. Is this too close, or is there something I should put between the surface of the water and the bulbs? Thanks for everybodies help!

Craig Manoukian

11 inches may be right as far as distance depending on the depth of your tank. In addition, any lights that are exposed to potential water splashing are at risk. My bulbs are protected by a glass tank top. A plastic splash shield may cover your needs.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

joe@inreef

Sponsor
My 4 250 watt MH bulbs sit 5 inches from the water surface and are not covered... They have been this way for years and I have never had a problem. If yours are 9 to 12 inches, I would do with out a shield, as any type of sheild will cut your lighting down by as much as 40%. As far as bulbs go, try the XM or CoralVue, both are priced well below their competitors, and work just as well, if not better.

wooddood

the wood dude
mick77,pm pro builder he just got new halides and they were xm's he did alot of reshearch first and those were his choice.he should be able to help you out.his name is troy.hth.

mick77

Thanks everybody for your info! I'll definately take some before and after pics and let you see the difference. I'm leaning towards 10,000K bulbs, but don't want a total washed out effect. These kits she ordered come with 4,400K bulbs, but I think they'll end up looking too yellow.

mikej11

mick77,

Like joe@inreef my MHs sit about 5-7 inches off the water uncovered. I have not had any of them break on me due to water splash. I do clean them weekly since small amounts of water splash them leaving salt creep and water spots. I went with 6500K bulbs because I was looking for faster coral growth. I do understand that 10K is the way to go if you are looking for more of a white look with out supplementing Actinics. An important thing to remember is -> (MHs = Coral Growth) corals love light. Good luck with you new setup. Keep us posted.

HTH

Michael J

fisheye

Warning!!!!! Just remember to turn off your MH before putting in or taking out fish due to they fact that fish will splash more water than bulb can burn off and could result in BANG

HAP

I have my 250w Ushio 10,000k bulbs in spider reflectors. They sit about 12 inches over the water.

I am also in the camp that prefers not to use a glass tank cover. In addition to cutting down light transfer, glass canopies prevent evaporation which helps lower water temp and allows for the need for water make-up which is a natural replenishment.

Pro_builder

Mick77,
I went with the XM10K's from Hellolights
I am really impressed with the look of the tank. I am running 220 watts of Power Compact Actinic 03 too.
Here is a picture of my tank with everything running.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me.

mick77

Troy, I like the look of your set-up. Those XMs look great! Looks like I'll be going in that direction! Thanks for everybodies help, and I'll be sure to post some pics.