MH or T5HO ?

KoolFish

I'm getting close to the time that my current lights will need new bulbs. I have done a bit of research and cannot decide which one to go with. These are the options and costs (the price really doesn't matter).

Replace current bulbs: $110 CAN

MH 150W or 250W 14,000K or 20,000K HQI. This will be a DIY and costs about $150 to $250 CAN depending on the options I go with. Keep in mind I have a plastic center brace on my tank, which would need to be removed and replaced with either a glass one or a brace that wraps around the top of the tank. Little more work with this option but most likely worth it.

T5HO (4x24W), this is more simple than the MH option, but more exp. way to go. Costs about $300 CAN

I do not have any SPS corals, but do plan to in the near future. Tank specs are listed in my sig.

Regards,

Chris

Warnberg

Personally, I have used both T5's and MH's. I'm not going to get into a long speech about the benefits or drawbacks of each. I'm just going to say that if I had to do it all over again I would have started off and stuck with MH's.

KoolFish

Personally, I have used both T5's and MH's. I'm not going to get into a long speech about the benefits or drawbacks of each. I'm just going to say that if I had to do it all over again I would have started off and stuck with MH's.

I appreciate your input. I know what MH's are like but never used the T5HO before. Thanks again!

Chris

KoolFish

Woodstock: That sounds like the way to go... Thanks.

DrHank: The Dr. always knows best! Thanks.

Well, I decided go with MH. So I ordered a 150W electronic ballast, quick connect cord and HQI 150W/20,000K bulb. I have a pendant that I will h/w with the quick connect cord for this ballast. The bulb is a cheap one from eBay for testing. If all goes well I will order a better bulb. Any recs. on a HQI bulb?

I will try the T5 actinic with it as well.

Thanks for all your input.

Chris

Cougra

Where did you order the MH light setup from?

Are you still planning on going with the T-5 For actinic supplements? If so, I would recommend that you check out the new Hagen T5 ballast that came out fairly recently. I've seen them at both PJ's and Big Al's, if either store is near you. You can get one for 2x54W T5HO's for about $65 +tax and the smaller ballast for the shorter bulbs for a little less, can't remember the price. I'm going to be ordering my T5HO bulbs from jlaquatics since they have better selection and the price is a lot cheaper, even with shipping included.

KoolFish

Where did you order the MH light setup from?

Are you still planning on going with the T-5 For actinic supplements? If so, I would recommend that you check out the new Hagen T5 ballast that came out fairly recently. I've seen them at both PJ's and Big Al's, if either store is near you. You can get one for 2x54W T5HO's for about $65 +tax and the smaller ballast for the shorter bulbs for a little less, can't remember the price. I'm going to be ordering my T5HO bulbs from jlaquatics since they have better selection and the price is a lot cheaper, even with shipping included.

I ordered the MH ballast (PFO 150W Electronic Bare Metal Halide Ballast) and PFO cord from jlaquatics. It also was include in the free shipping over $100 offer. Bonus. :whstlr: Total was $138 CAN w/taxes. They do have the best prices. I only have to get my salt (Seachem Reef Salt) from another online retailer as they don't carry it.

Thanks for the info on the T5 ballast. Will look into it.

Chris