MH only?

Reefstick

As some of you know I take care of a 150G for a local company, it happens to be in there conference room, and gets some indirect morning light. (until about 10:00am.) The question I have is that he wants me to make he tank into a reef.
But here is the problem. He only has 72"W x 10"D area above the tank (this is because the tank is in a 6" wall.) how am I going to fit MH and PC's above it? Can I use only MH if there are three bulbs, and they all come on at different times of the day? Last question is: Should I use 250W blubs or 400W. (They will be mounted about 12-18" above the tank.)

blue_eyes53813

What corals does he want to keep in the tank? I would shoot for 3 250 watters..Im not sure how that would work as far as different times of the day though. I ve heard of people mounting the lights the width of the tank (10 inch) to get better coverage of the bulbs.

Reefstick

blue_eyes53813 said:
What corals does he want to keep in the tank? I would shoot for 3 250 watters..Im not sure how that would work as far as different times of the day though. I ve heard of people mounting the lights the width of the tank (10 inch) to get better coverage of the bulbs.

He really liked my tank, and that was a mix tank (Soft/LPS/SPS).
I think 3x 250 would be plenty of light, I was playing with the tought of 400W but that would be a crap load of light.

I was thinking also that if I do three ballasts, I could have the center bulb come on, and then every 30 min. have one more come on.

Also, in order to keep the pretty colors he likes, I thought about do a 20K in the middle, and 10K's on the sides. What do you guys think?

boozeman

Reefstick said:
Also, in order to keep the pretty colors he likes, I thought about do a 20K in the middle, and 10K's on the sides.
good idea...that way you have the bluer color of the 20k

SueT

or you could go with the reeflux 10k's as they have a ice blueish tint to them. I am not running any actinics for the time being and I love the look. Plus makes the corals look great..

billyr98

also going with 250s will help with not needing a chiller.. since room is probably tight and they will not want the noise in the conference room