MH mounting height

Reefstick

I am sure this question has been asked before. but here goes.

I have a 75G reef (Sps, Lps & Softies) with 440W VHO's and two 175W MH's in a custom made hood. :thumbup:
I just put the MH on two or three months ago.....I mounted them about 10 inches off the water surface.
I wounder is this too far off the surface, or just right?
The animals look great, and the wife thinks they are just fine, but I like to tinker......
What do you guys think?

Charlie97L

Reefstick said:
I am sure this question has been asked before. but here goes.

I have a 75G reef (Sps, Lps & Softies) with 440W VHO's and two 175W MH's in a custom made hood. :thumbup:
I just put the MH on two or three months ago.....I mounted them about 10 inches off the water surface.
I wounder is this too far off the surface, or just right?
The animals look great, and the wife thinks they are just fine, but I like to tinker......
What do you guys think?

that's excellent. my 250 is about 9" off and i have heat issues... i also saw a guys' really nice setup, and he had a 400 and two 175s. the 175s were about 10" and the 400 was about 14. if you aren't having temp issues or bleaching... leave it alone! :)

Reefstick

I let me wife know that she is right.
I have two 4" fans on the hood, One in and one out. It seems to do the trick, The tank stays about 78-79 degrees.

What do you think is a good wattage for a 150 gallon reef? the tank is 6 feet long...... 3X 250's???

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Reefstick said:
What do you think is a good wattage for a 150 gallon reef? the tank is 6 feet long...... 3X 250's???

That would work perfectly since a MH bulb will cover a 2x2' area.