Metal Screw in Fishtank...>Problem?

jcoopergd

Hello all,

question, i was installing some new moonilights, and one of the screws fell into the tank, and landed right in my Pistol Shrimps lair.....I tried to get it out, but i cant go near the shrimp without him "Pistoling" me, I can't even see the shrimp as its lodged into the rock somewhere. Plus, he's one of our favorite guys in the tank - a beautiful red and Blue pistol that has made his permantent home in some Live rock holes - right in the front of the tank....he is a very social shrimp..

I dont know what kind of metal it is, but, i imagine stainless - should i really annoy my shrimp by taking the rock out and inverting it? or should i leave it be- Also, with that being said, there's a fireworm living somewhere near this rock....and i DO NOT want to touch him on accident, and Clyde (the pistol shrimp) does like to "pistol" anything that comes close -

I've already flipped the rock in the tank, but nothing fell out -

whats my next step?

j

Cougra

Can you SEE the screw? If so I suggest using some tweezers to remove it. I wouldn't panic immediately if it's stainless or even nickle plated brass as it does take a little while to start to corrode, however I would try my best to get it out of there as soon as possible. You may even get lucky and have the shrimp eject it from it's home.

If you CAN"T see it then you really do need to find it. I would suggest that you use some thick gloves if you are going to pick up the rock in case you do have a fire worm in there and it might give a bit of protection against the pistol shrimp but make sure you are very cautious

reefjitsu

I can't really tell from your post whether or not you are afraid of being "shot" by the pistol shrimp. If so, you should know that they can't hurt you with it. Unless you count bumping your elbow on the hood when jerking it out of the tank because it startled you. :doh: I also had one pop pretty close to my ear once while diving, that wasn't fun but didn't hurt me. Of course your head shouldn't go in your tank anyway.

ReefDave

ive got a better idea than tweezers! have one of those old school algae magnets w/ the string attached to it? drop one of the sides near the hole and drag it out! i would assume any magnet would work (fridge magnet maybe?)

jcoopergd

magnet....thats a good idea....

im not afraid of being shot by the pistol once, but since i have to go into his home, it would be shot like 20 times....ive been hit before, and its the shock of getting electricuted....the pain of the elbow on the canopy...and the shock that none of your skin was even broken!

i think ill wait a few days and let the shrimp settle down, and then probably take the rock out all together and flip it..

j

Cougra

Not all screws (especially true stainless steel ones) can be picked up with a magnet but it's definately worth a try. You can do an easy test on one of the other screws first to see if it'll work.

lcstorc

I have a really long tweezer like tool that I use to feed my anemones. Something like that could work depending on the placement. Also depending on the weight of the screw some directed water flow (power head or even ye olde turkey baster, might be enough to move it into and easier area to reach.
Just and idea.

jcoopergd

So i saw the screw this AM - ill be able to get it out tommrorow AM, when the GSP's have closed up - but I got a good pic of my pistol shrimp - not sure the exact type, maybe someone can help me out with an Exact ID - its not a japanese pistol, i dont think, so who knows..

clyde_the_shrimp.JPG

jcoopergd

He's more of a deep blue/purple.....He's got red and white feeler antenna, and some neon green spots on his head...

but blue/purple for most of his body..

j

music man

I have a tool in my toolbox that looks like a telescoping in k pen but it has a small magnet on the end I think it cost about 3.00 at wallymart, in the tool department and it goes to about 3 feet long if the screw isnt an alloy it should pick it up ok.