• MH Photoperiod of 13-14 hrs/day

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • MH Photoperiod > 14 hrs/day

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I honestly don't beleive that there are two reefers out there with the same MH photo period for their reefs! If you ask 10 different people how long to run MH over a reef, you will get 10 different answers! So do tell... how many hours per day do you burn your MH over your reef?

Gina

RS STAFF
Right now we are running about 6 hours. On the old set up we ran about 9 hours.
We will increase the time when the corals adjust to the new tank.

Witfull

in tropical waters the daylight photoperiod is near constant at appx 11+hrs. there is more of a flux in the GBR and Philippines. as you go more north or south the summer winter flux is a few hours. this is why people are using computer programs that follow the solar and lunar cycles to control their lights. similation of natural environment.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Witfull said:
in tropical waters the daylight photoperiod is near constant at appx 11+hrs. there is more of a flux in the GBR and Philippines. as you go more north or south the summer winter flux is a few hours. this is why people are using computer programs that follow the solar and lunar cycles to control their lights. similation of natural environment.

I like that idea...When I go to MHs I will keep that in mind. Thanks Witty! :bigbounce

Cheers! :bigbounce

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I think the question is how long is it necessary to run the lights. I've reduced my photoperiod by 3.5 hours and my corals have actually improved their health since I was having serious problems with bleaching and STN.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Interesting Robert.. but that is for acclimating, correct? Are you planning to KEEP the photo period that short.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
For part of the year I will, in the Summertime particularly since I was flirting with 86*F several times. I have noticed no Ill effects or slower coral growth and the Color of the Corals have actually improved. I read at RC a while back that all corals need is a couple of hours for photosynthesis don't know if it's true or not.

mps9506

I also noticed my tank seemed more stable overall when I reduced my photoperiod from 10 hours to 6 hours. I reduced the photoperiod slowly over about one month. My temps became more stable, SPS growth did not decrease.

Regarding the nearly 12 hour photoperiod in equitorial regions, this does not mean corals are exposed to 12 hours of direct sunlight every day all year around. Depeding on the location on the reef crest and taking into consideration the constant battle between corals to overgrow each other, most corals will not recieve a fulll blast of sunlight 12 hours a day.
There are also a few studies involving zooxanthalle energy production. There is only so much light they can feasibly absorb, and if you have 400 watt halides on above them, it is no where near 12 hours :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Very true Mike. Do you run additional actinics? If so, for how long? FOr viewing purposes, I run 2 x 96 watt PC actinics for 12 hrs. I expect that these also provide some energy to the corals.

Mebigloser

Okay.....I have a quick question.....

I am getting ready to place my MH lighting back on my tank...150 gallon....

The tank will have 500 watts of MH 10k and 440 watts of VHO which includes both Actinics and 10k bulbs.

If this was your lighting what would you run them at?

I hope to place another 250 MH soon....

MBL

Woodstock

RS STAFF
As you can see from the poll, some choose differenct photo periods. JMO would be to run the MH for 8 hrs and the actinics 12 hrs. :)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What is your current lighting schedule ? I would start with that and either increase or decrease slowly depending on what your keeping and how well they react to the light. After my episode with the 10k XM's I keep a very close eye on what my Corals tell me.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ditto to Robert... ALWAYS make changes to the photo period very gradually. Corals are quite sensitive to such changes.