Melissa's 15 gallon Leaf Fish Tank

bullet

Looks good I see you are using the Nutri sea sea water we have been using that since day one and
never had a any major water issues at all plus its convenient. How has you ammonia levels been remember
they may spike at some point while cycling I didn't see where you mentioned this other than that great job
on a side note we have 20 lbs of live rock in our 29 gallon cube

melgrj7

Thanks:) I test daily for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and keep a thing of salt water ready just encase i need to do an emergency water change. I never showed any ammonia or nitrite and have been showing a very small amount of nitrates. I think this is because I set the tank up using live sand, and then cured live rock that had been in the tanks at work for years.

I'm not going to always use the sea water, doing 3 gallons every 4 days would get to expensive lol. But for the first two water changes it was very convenient and now I have containers to bring R/O water home in =)

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

melgrj7

Added a single head candy cane coral yesterday and picked up 4 gallons of R/O water.

melgrj7

Diatoms are subsiding, yay. AND! The leaf fish ate a dead ghost shrimp off of the feeding stick woohoo!!!! Puts us a big step closer to eating frozen food off the feeding stick. Fed the corals today with coral frenzy a few hours ago. Now I'm about to go ahead and do my scheduled water change :)

melgrj7

Leaf ate 2 prekilled ghost shrimp today, tried a piece of silverside but he wouldn't go for it. Looked interested, and then scared of it lol. So I just put it on the sand and the nassarius snails are going to town on it. Got a cheap powerhead to make mixing salt water easy. Got a bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro salt for cheap (the bucket was busted but the bag still good) so I have that mixing with R/O water in a bucket with the power head to do a water change in a few hours.

Mischko

Hiya Melissa,

nice setup, but one advice. Get rid off those or put them on a seperate rock.

13930399096_e83f8c61a2_o.jpg

Edit: Don't want to scare you, but those look like Protopalythoa and their toxin is one of the strongest in our hobby. Usually they inhabitat the more lower regions in reefs. In our tanks, with more light and food available, they will spread in huge amounts and can be a real pest. I'd put them on a seperate rock, if you want to keep them or get completely rid off them. If you handle them, be careful. I have no idea how local fish shops here in Germany and elsewhere don't clarify the risks to customers about this coral.

melgrj7

Thanks, I was actually thinking of getting rid of them anyway because I would rather have a prettier colony of zoas lol.

melgrj7

Been awhile! The fish (Davey) is doing great. He is yellow now, and about 4 inches long. He eats live ghost shrimp that have been gutloaded (didn't have any success switching him to frozen stuff). Most of the corals are doing good, the brown polyps are the only ones that aren't. I do however have an algae problem. I think its "turf algae", from what I've looked at online. It comes up out of the rocks and I can hardly even pull it off, some I can, most I cannot. None of my snails touch it, the emerald crab eats it a bit but hasn't made a dent. Tried a sea hair, it didn't touch it. My water is good (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate under 5). Anyone know how to get rid of this stuff? I was thinking of acclimating some mollies to salt water and seeing if they would eat it, as they usually mow through anything green.
15151149553_8bdf44dddc_z.jpg
[/url]algae by melgrj7, on Flickr[/IMG]

melgrj7

I bought and acclimated 2 black mollies, they were a little over an inch long. Next day they were gone and the leaf fish's belly was huge. =/

DaveK

Your leaf fish thanks you for the hors d'oeuvres.

That's a problem your always going to have with a leaf fish. For their size they can eat a fairly large fish.

melgrj7

I've added 4 scarlet hermits and a tuxedo urchin and they are doing a decent job on the algae yay! Also changed my bulbs. Water has tested great and still does :::shrugs:::