Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

WayneT

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

I just finished reading all 63 pages of this thread and at this point I think my brain ifs full!:D

I actually enjoyed every bit of it and it makes a lot of sense. I'm in the process of building a new 120gal reef (48X24X24) tank that will be built in as a room separator. This is not my first tank, I've had fish, both fresh and salt since I was about 9 years old. I'm now retired and looking forward to building this new reef.

My last reef tank was about 10 years ago and I lost it to the aftermath of a hurricane. I sold that tank and equipment with every intention of going back into it but never had the time. NOW I have the time and I have every intention of doing things a little simpler than I did before. I really believe that the combination of a reasonable load of live rock and the turf filter your really can reduce or even eliminate the need for skimmers or any other type of mechanical filtration most of the time. I'll always have a standby unit in case of emergencies.

My question is; do you or any of your other readers have any recommendations for new reef tank builds? I am in the process of building the deck at this point and probably won't get to the tank until later in the year. I'm having it custom built here in Tennessee. Up unitl this point I had planned on a 38 gallon sump for a refugium but now I'm thinking something a little simpler and less expensive.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Cloud: Here are you flow rates:

Screen Width-----Gallons Per Hour (GPH)

1" 35
2" 70
3" 105
4" 140
5" 175
6" 210
7" 245
8" 280

But where would you put it?

Wayne: Others know much more than me about tank builds. The sump, however, could be designed with a scrubber in mind.

Rhodes19

I just finished reading all 63 pages of this thread and at this point I think my brain ifs full!:D

I actually enjoyed every bit of it and it makes a lot of sense. I'm in the process of building a new 120gal reef (48X24X24) tank that will be built in as a room separator. This is not my first tank, I've had fish, both fresh and salt since I was about 9 years old. I'm now retired and looking forward to building this new reef.

My last reef tank was about 10 years ago and I lost it to the aftermath of a hurricane. I sold that tank and equipment with every intention of going back into it but never had the time. NOW I have the time and I have every intention of doing things a little simpler than I did before. I really believe that the combination of a reasonable load of live rock and the turf filter your really can reduce or even eliminate the need for skimmers or any other type of mechanical filtration most of the time. I'll always have a standby unit in case of emergencies.

My question is; do you or any of your other readers have any recommendations for new reef tank builds? I am in the process of building the deck at this point and probably won't get to the tank until later in the year. I'm having it custom built here in Tennessee. Up unitl this point I had planned on a 38 gallon sump for a refugium but now I'm thinking something a little simpler and less expensive.

Hi Wayne,

:welcomera to RS. You are going to love it here.

You might want to look at posting your question in the beginners forum. I think you would get more responses relating to your questions on getting back to reefing. Definitely consider building an algae scrubber when you start. I am in the processes of making a few for my tanks.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/

Give us some more details on what you want to keep and that will help folks give you better and more specific recommendations. Are you looking at having a mixed tank or a species type tank? Any fish, nems? What type of lighting are you looking at? I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you want to do. Pictures are always good! :D

WayneT

Thanks for the Welcome Rhodes. I will be going back and forth to the beginners site simply because I've been out of the hobby for so long and a lot has changed. I don't have a problem on the basics but just wanted to know if there is anything special I should do on a new tank using an alge scrubber especially in the early chemistry phase. I'll probaby have a FOWLR tank for quite a while until I get everything stable.

Rhodes19

I don't have a problem on the basics but just wanted to know if there is anything special I should do on a new tank using an alge scrubber especially in the early chemistry phase.

Hi Wayne,

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. It that case, you are definitely in the right place. The 2-3 tanks I am putting them on are already established, however, I am setting up a 180 and will include an algae scrubber from the beginning. I recall SantaMonica recommending a scrubber from the start. I'll let others who have the experience answer that one! :) Have fun with your new tank.

Cloud: Here are you flow rates:

Screen Width-----Gallons Per Hour (GPH)

1" 35
2" 70
3" 105
4" 140
5" 175
6" 210
7" 245
8" 280

But where would you put it?

I could do a sumpless waterfall version that sits above the tank, right? I was thinking of adding it in beside my fuge...not in the fuge since that apparently won't work in my case. I should have the room behind the tank to add something like that in addition to the fuge. What size container do you suggest for a 5x5 screen?

I'm going to do this thing as a learning work in progress. I've never actually built anything for an aquarium so I'm learning as I go. I have had aquariums with sumps, fuges, etc and I understand how they work, but never built them myself. I'd like to try my hand at building something, and this seemed a good and interesting place to start. Also, what type of lights would you suggest? A type of light that is waterproof would probably be a good idea...maybe something from a marine supply store for like boats, etc?

WayneT

Hi Rhodes:

Don't worry, I will be enjoying myself building this tank. I'll keep in touch on this thred as I build the tank and feed back any information on the scrubber that I can pick up.

thanks again

I'm still battling cloudy water. All my params are excellent, but still the whitish cloudiness. I cleaned the sump of all excess algae, and the return hoses. I've run carbon, a HOT Magnum micron filter, tried Phos-zorb, nothing helps. I'm even running a Seaclone skimmer now, which is pulling a lot, but hasn't even put a dent in the scrubber's output.

This is really mind-boggling. I don't really have any algae in the DT, except for a little cyano in some dead spots that I need to address with new powerheads. Could lack of proper flow overall be contributing to this? I just don't know.

I don't want to scrap the scrubber altogether, since I feel like it's doing its job. But this cloudiness is a real PITA. All of my fish and corals are happy, but I'm the one that's unhappy since I'm having a hard time seeing everything. I know that cloudy water is one of the main arguments lobbed against ATSs in the past.

Anybody else having this problem?

Cloud: Check the FAQ:
Algae Scrubbers • View topic - ALGAE SCRUBBER FAQ (9/10/09)

Tusc: Scrubber don't cloud the water. Something is wrong. Post several pics of your whole sump and scrubber setup, especially the flow off the bottom of the screen, AND before and after cleaning pics.

Scrubbers don't cloud the water? Are you serious? That's one of the downfalls that we've been talking about all along here. Do I really need to go back to one of the four thousand threads you've started and pull some quotes?

Cloud: Check the FAQ:
Algae Scrubbers • View topic - ALGAE SCRUBBER FAQ (9/10/09)

Tusc: Scrubber don't cloud the water. Something is wrong. Post several pics of your whole sump and scrubber setup, especially the flow off the bottom of the screen, AND before and after cleaning pics.

Thanks for the link! Since this thing is going to have to site above the tank, does anyone have knowledge of anything like a ledge, etc that can be hooked over the edge of a tank (so I don't have to build this too). I know you can buy equipment like filters, breeder tanks, etc that hook over the edge. Do they also make just a shelf the hooks over the edge so my scrubber can be above the water line? I've neer seen one, but I'm always coming across aquarium equipment I've never seen before. Thanks!

johnmaloney

there is absolutely no flaws to this system, none, and there can never be. ever, it is the best thing that was ever created period. ;)

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

If operated properly

We're still claiming ATS doesn't ever cause cloudiness?

Rhodes19

Tuscaquatics,

I don't have mine up yet so please take my suggestion for what it is worth. In my previous carrier I use to trouble shoot communication systems and part of the procedure was to remove or swap out equipment that we thought was the problem when all else failed. You could pull the ATS out of your system and see what happens. If the water clears, you found the problem, if it doesn't, you just ruled the ATS out as the cause. Just a thought.

Chris

Tuscaquatics,

I don't have mine up yet so please take my suggestion for what it is worth. In my previous carrier I use to trouble shoot communication systems and part of the procedure was to remove or swap out equipment that we thought was the problem when all else failed. You could pull the ATS out of your system and see what happens. If the water clears, you found the problem, if it doesn't, you just ruled the ATS out as the cause. Just a thought.

Chris

Thanks for the advice, Chris. I've thought about this. In almost any other situation this might work, but with the ATS, there's the issue of what to do with the screen while it's not being run. It took weeks to get a good coating of algae on it and I don't want it to die off while I'm experimenting.

I suppose I could set up a closed-loop system for the sole purpose of supporting the scrubber, but that's going to be a PITA for sure.

Any other advice?

johnmaloney

If operated properly

everything if operated properly and working out works out. Caulerpa grown properly has no ill effects, skimmers operated properly never overflow etc.. I am not trying to knock your ATS, it can work, but there are things that can go wrong as well. His water is probably cloudy because some of the algae began to sporolate. All algae, (even turf algae), can sporolate and it causes tank cloudiness. Scientific fact, it happens, algae can reproduce either sexually or asexually. No way around it. But if you tell people they are doing it wrong each time the water stains, or the ph goes low, the owners will not know that dying cyano and turf algae cause water staining, and that they also cause ph to go low as respiring and dying algae consumer oxygen from the water and this effects ph. Living organisms, no matter what kind die, become stressed, and do what they are designed to do - that is spread themselves through sporolation in conditions that are not ideal for their growth. Even in an ATS.

So what do we think could cause the algae to give off spores? Maybe an improper lighting schedule? I try to leave it on for 18 hours a day, but I don't have it on a timer and occasionally I miss turning it back on/off.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Since you are not going to post pics, just read the answers are in the FAQ below.