Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Give it a rest, 6 hours. It will grow more, and save electricity.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Here is a comparison of the types of bulbs to use:
CFLtypes.jpg

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

I'm going to be making another scrubber for my 125 and I would like to go with LED's and I think it will have to be a DIY unless someone knows of a unit that would work off the shelf. So a question for the experts is it just all red and if so is their any special spectrum that exists that I should be looking for?

Thanks

Floyd R Turbo

RS Sponsor

e-shine 50W grow bar is really the only affordable off-the-shelf unit. Mainly 660nm Red and maybe some blues or NW/WW thrown in there, but a ratio of 6 or 8 reds to anything else.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

Are any blues at all required?

Also any idea who sells these?

Floyd R Turbo

RS Sponsor

go back and read post 1586-87

Rapid LED sells everything you need.

Do the cfl lit scrubbers grow very thick hair algae like the t5 screens ?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Any scrubber grows thick if designed right.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Need translator for Availability Schedule...
Availability Schedule

I have Chinese finished, but I need other languages too. So if you or someone you know can translate that page into another language and email it to me on a Word 2000 document, let me know how much $ it would cost.

Thanks!

Hey sm do you think with all the extra feeding (directly to the nem)you can do in a scrubbed tank could you keep a anemone(bubble tip) without having fancy shmancy lights ?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Good question. I don't know.

ChrisOaty

Hey sm do you think with all the extra feeding (directly to the nem)you can do in a scrubbed tank could you keep a anemone(bubble tip) without having fancy shmancy lights ?

Quick answer: No. Anemones have the ability to obtain only a small percentage of their energy/nutrients from ingested foods. While light and food provide different types of energy, one cannot substitute for the other. An anemone can thrive without ingesting food in a home aquarium but the same cannot be said about sufficient lighting. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "fancy shmancy" but if you're looking for a less expensive alternative to high levels of light, you may look into a DIY LED setup. If built correctly, an LED array can provide an anemone with ample lighting without drawing nearly the same wattage or emitting the kind of heat that a metal halide setup would.

Sorry for the tangent SM. BTW, the algae scrubber is works wonders on my reefs and kept my fresh water crystal clear with no algae in the DT too! =].

Then it's a good thing I've got 3 250w metal halides on my tank.

fit

Really wonderfull of lyou to lead us. Thank you.

Let me see if I have this correct:

I am going to make a two to three cube a day system.
I need 24 to 36 square inches illuminated on both sides.
My sump makes it easiest to try to implement say a 3 to 6 inch waterfall.
If my width is 3 inches I need a length of 8 to 12 inches.
If my width is 4 inches I need a length of 6 to 9 inches.
If my width is 5 inches I need a length of 5 to 7 inches.
If my width is 6 inches I need a length of 4 to 6 inches.
etc..

The 50W e-Shine device I think you are referring to has approximately the following specs:
Size 19.6”L x 3.2”W x 2.2“H
Input Current 0.24~0.48A Lumens 4200 lm

The dimensions really don't allow for the shape of the screen I want and it seems to be overkill for the amount of light I need.
What about the lights mentioned below? It is 9x 1 Watt LED in RED 660 nm and 3x 1 Watt Blue LED 450 nm with both red and blue output controllable.
LEDwholesalers High Power 12 Watt PAR38 Dimmable 660nm RED and 450 nm Blue LED Grow Light, 1325RB : LED Grow Light
Also found here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KW8SK8/?tag=reefsanc-20

Or this one
seems to be the same package
Product Diameter:4.75" or 120 mm/Product Length:4.5" or 114mm
All 12 LEDs are 660nm
Amazon.com: LED Wholesalers 1315RD 12 Watt PAR38 Red LED High Power Grow Light Bulb: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I believe the specs are really close to what you recommend. Am I correct? If either would work, which would you recommend? Do you think I should rather design a scrubber to use the e-shine unit?

tnwillia

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Fit!

Floyd R Turbo

RS Sponsor

Really wonderfull of lyou to lead us. Thank you.

Let me see if I have this correct:

I am going to make a two to three cube a day system.
I need 24 to 36 square inches illuminated on both sides.
My sump makes it easiest to try to implement say a 3 to 6 inch waterfall.
If my width is 3 inches I need a length of 8 to 12 inches.
If my width is 4 inches I need a length of 6 to 9 inches.
If my width is 5 inches I need a length of 5 to 7 inches.
If my width is 6 inches I need a length of 4 to 6 inches.
etc..

The 50W e-Shine device I think you are referring to has approximately the following specs:
Size 19.6”L x 3.2”W x 2.2“H
Input Current 0.24~0.48A Lumens 4200 lm

The dimensions really don't allow for the shape of the screen I want and it seems to be overkill for the amount of light I need.
What about the lights mentioned below? It is 9x 1 Watt LED in RED 660 nm and 3x 1 Watt Blue LED 450 nm with both red and blue output controllable.
LEDwholesalers High Power 12 Watt PAR38 Dimmable 660nm RED and 450 nm Blue LED Grow Light, 1325RB : LED Grow Light
Also found here Amazon.com: LED Wholesalers 1325RB 12 Watt PAR38 Blue/Red LED High Power Grow Light Bulb With Remote Control: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Or this one
seems to be the same package
Product Diameter:4.75" or 120 mm/Product Length:4.5" or 114mm
All 12 LEDs are 660nm
Amazon.com: LED Wholesalers 1315RD 12 Watt PAR38 Red LED High Power Grow Light Bulb: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I believe the specs are really close to what you recommend. Am I correct? If either would work, which would you recommend? Do you think I should rather design a scrubber to use the e-shine unit?

Yep, you have the sizes correct

As for those LED lights, those are decent ones, good for a square screen so I would shoot for 6x6 for a 3 cube/day scrubber. one on each side, those are probably equivalent to a 23W CFL for reference. So if you ran those on a 2 cube/day scrubber (24 sq in) you might be able to run then only 9 hours/day, or 12 at most. For a 3 cube/day scrubber you might have to back them off a bit to get the coverage right, and you would lose a little intensity so up the photo period.

For that price though ($50/ea) you could buy a few heatsinks from heatsinkusa.com and LEDs and a driver from rapidled.com and make your own fixtures

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

3 weeks till the posting of the new scrubber.