Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

An example VERTICAL waterfall screen size is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen (7.5 X 10 cm = 75 sq cm) with a total of 12 real watts (not equivalent) of fluorescent light for 18 hours a day. If all 12 watts are on one side, it is a 1-sided screen. If 6 watts are on each side, it is a 2-sided screen, but the total is still 12 watts for 18 hours a day. This screen size and wattage should be able to handle the following amounts of daily feeding:

1 frozen cube per day (2-sided screen), or
1/2 frozen cube per day (1-sided screen), or
10 pinches of flake food per day (2-sided screen), or
5 pinches of flake food per day (1-sided screen), or
10 square inches (50 sq cm) of nori per day (2-sided screen), or
5 square inches (50 sq cm) of nori per day (1-sided screen), or
0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen), or
0.05 dry ounce (1.4 grams) of pellet food per day (1-sided screen)

High-wattage technique: Double the wattage, and cut the hours in half (to 9 per day). This will get brown screens to grow green much faster. Thus the example above would be 12 watts on each side, for a total of 24 watts, but for only 9 hours per day. If growth starts to turn YELLOW, then increase the flow, or add iron, or reduce the number of hours. And since the bulbs are operating for 9 hours instead of 18, they will last 6 months instead of 3 months.

jake9015

Re: Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Hi i am wondering which tank this would be an option for? Big tanks, Small tanks, nano cubes, ETC.... I like the idea and everything but own a red sea 130D and dont think this would be A. very appealing B. would do me any good.... Please respond. Thanks

It will be double sided but,what if I need to feed 3-4 cubes ( of my mush) daily ?

What do you mean jake ? The scrubber goes in the sump ( if the tank has one) otherwise it may not look very nice .

Can you hang hang it over it (I'm gessing no?)? Could you add a sump under the tank (doesn't even need to be a tank just something to catch the water and pump it back up)?

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Wait for the new scrubber version to be posted in March... it does not require a sump.

Sm should I do a 12" by 12" screen with 144w cfl? Or should I double it to be able to handle as much feeding as I can.

redneckgearhead

Sm should I do a 12" by 12" screen with 144w cfl? Or should I double it to be able to handle as much feeding as I can.
According to the new sizing guideline that screen could handle 12 cubes of food per day.....how much are you feeding? IMO 12x12 would be plenty

It will be for my 125 gal I will have multiple pairs of fish(I would like to breed them) so I need to feed as much as possible 3-6 times daily , each feeding is going to be 1/2-1 cube worth. I will have my banggai fry- juveniles in my fuge/sump which will also get fed a lot.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

I think the current size is plenty.

Jerry

That's nice. A very imaginative concept. Anyway, I still believe that having an extra skimmer will still help. In fact, nothing too much.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Yes, a skimmer does help remove food particles from the water.

Bamboo

Do you or anybody else offer screen with pre-grown algae? I need a piece bad.

Floyd R Turbo

RS Sponsor

You can get seed screens from Inland Aquatics, I got one and it's all red turf so pretty useless IMO I used a 10 sq in seed screen to start mine originally and I can't say it did any good. All you need is a little hair algae from another tank and rub it on the screen.

Bamboo

You can get seed screens from Inland Aquatics, I got one and it's all red turf so pretty useless IMO I used a 10 sq in seed screen to start mine originally and I can't say it did any good. All you need is a little hair algae from another tank and rub it on the screen.

at $1 for a square in(without overnight shipping)I think I'll just hold my breath till I get some on my own screen.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM

Your green hair will just over-grow the red turf anyway.

PIMPALA

UAS1.jpg

its 2012. hurry up with it already!!!!