Medium sized in-sump skimmer recommendations

Lee

First off, I apologize for being lazy; I could totally figure this out on my own, but I started searching this forum today and after 10 minutes, I had about 75 threads to read and dozens of skimmers listed, and I don't have all that much time for this kind of research anymore. So instead of spending a bunch of time reading and researching, I've decided to start a thread.

I'm looking for recommendations and a little discussion on in-sump protein skimmers.

-My new DT is 125g, and the sump will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 gallons.
-Space really isn't much of an issue, seeing as though I haven't bought a sump tank yet. I can use whatever size tank I need and I can allocate however much space to a skimmer as I need, within reason
-Budget for this skimmer isn't really an issue either, but the number I have in my head (what I expected/hoped to spend) has three digits and starts with the number "3".
-Bio-load is TBD; but I love fish, and I plan to have a lot, like back in 2008 when I would catch hell for having an overstocked tank
-I currently use an Aqua C Remora Pro, which is just way too small. I once had a Marineland skimmer that did absolutely nothing, so I know that all skimmers are not created equal.

Bottom line: I know virtually nothing about in-sump skimmers; they all look the same to me. I can't tell why one is better than the other, but I know that some are total garbage. Is there a general ReefSanctuary consensus on some good skimmers? I've seen the name "ASM" flying around as being good. Also, what do you think of the Reef Octopus Diablo skimmers? There is a 200 gallon model for $325, but I have no clue if this is good. The reviews are pretty good Reef Octopus Diablo XS 200 Protein Skimmer - English

Any input/recommendations?

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Reef octopus is good. But if you are an overstocker than get a bigger model. Say, rated for 300 gallons. Otherwise water quality could go down hill fast... Especially for a skimmer rated "at" your water volume.
Just my .02...

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

Lee

Reef octopus is good. But if you are an overstocker than get a bigger model. Say, rated for 300 gallons. Otherwise water quality could go down hill fast... Especially for a skimmer rated "at" your water volume.
Just my .02...

Thanks for the recommendation. Let me pose a hypothetical question:

Pretend you're me, setting up a 125g with 30g sump (so probably 130 gallons total once you factor in displacement)

Consider two different Reef Octopus skimmers right around the $300 mark; would you choose this 250 gallon "pinwheel" Reef Octopus skimmer for $279, or this Reef Octopus Extreme Diablo rated at 160 gallons for $295?

The extreme is obviously better than the standard one, but the standard one is rated for 250 gallons, when the Diablo is only rated for 160 gallons.

Which is better; an obviously better skimmer or having a skimmer that is over-rated for your tank size? Wouldn't it make more sense to get a better quality skimmer that's rated closer to your tank size than to buy a cheaper quality skimmer that's rated way too large?

(For an extra $30, there is a Reef Octopus Diablo rated for 200 gallons, so that's probably the one I'd get out of the three, but my question still remains)

sk8rdn

Keep in mind, they both use a pinwheel design. That being said, I like the layout of the extreme... Less of an odd footprint as the pump is under the main body.
Normally, I'd agree that the better quality of option b puts it in the front running. But we are talking about the same reliable company in this case. I've seen very few complaints on any series of theirs. And again, a similar fractition design. So, if you "plan" on overstocking, go for one rated bigger. But if you keep the stock at appropriate levels, I'd go for the extreme model (but I'd still want the 200 extreme over the smaller one).
Hope someone else weighs in too!
HTH.

tnwillia

The skimmer is the most important part of your reef tank, IMHO, this is the place you need to do your homework and do not try to skimp on the price, rule of thumb is double the tank size for the skimmer and go from there. It's a lot easier to get 1 great skimmer that lasts for years than 2 or 3 that never help your tank at the great one's price. The pump that drives it in many cases is as important or more so than the impeller or body design. I've used Reef Octopus, SWC and Lifereef skimmers and happy with all of them.

On In-Sump skimmers, to me the key is maintaiing the size/preformance you need while finding the skimmer body footprint that will fit in your Sump skimmer chamber. This is easier said than done in many cases. You also have height limitations if your sump is in the stand, you have to know it will fit and you have space to get the cup out for cleaning and the skimmer out if needed once the sump is up and running. Take your time and get it right the first time, you'll get lots of help here. Good luck!

sk8rdn

Have you thought about the red sea sea skim 1800? Very compact, high performance, and totally designed around ease of use. Can be either in sump or external. Runs about $350 in most places...

Lee

The skimmer is the most important part of your reef tank, IMHO, this is the place you need to do your homework and do not try to skimp on the price, rule of thumb is double the tank size for the skimmer and go from there. It's a lot easier to get 1 great skimmer that lasts for years than 2 or 3 that never help your tank at the great one's price. The pump that drives it in many cases is as important or more so than the impeller or body design. I've used Reef Octopus, SWC and Lifereef skimmers and happy with all of them.

that's the plan, get one Skimmer for the life of the tank. It's good to know that I'm on track as far as brands go

On In-Sump skimmers, to me the key is maintaiing the size/preformance you need while finding the skimmer body footprint that will fit in your Sump skimmer chamber. This is easier said than done in many cases. You also have height limitations if your sump is in the stand, you have to know it will fit and you have space to get the cup out for cleaning and the skimmer out if needed once the sump is up and running. Take your time and get it right the first time, you'll get lots of help here. Good luck!

fortunately the tank is behind a wall and the equipment has tons of space, like a whole back room, and I haven't started on the sump so I have virtually no limitations!

Lee

Have you thought about the red sea sea skim 1800? Very compact, high performance, and totally designed around ease of use. Can be either in sump or external. Runs about $350 in most places...

Never heard of it but I will take a look.

I really want an ASM skimmer. They look simple, but they do a good job. At the fish store i work at, we mostly use them. For the shark tank, snails, shrimp, coral tubs, ect. They look simple, but they pull out nasty smelling stuff. The snails especially, as they are the tank with the most creatures per gallon of water, and that skimmer has to be empties 2 times a week. Same goes for the coral tubbs with 3 tangs and 4 other small fish for 200 gallons. I personally think they are very good from what i see.

Good: Easy to adjust water level with movement of overflow sponge
Never seems to overflow when new water is added or taken out, stays the same water level in skimmer and keeps going
Lock on lid for easy removal but secure
many many many micro bubbles formed

Bad: No drain for skimmer cup when full (have to manually drain and wash it)
Heard the impellers are a little on the cheap side

All in all, this is just another idea or a skimmer out there. All you can do is ask around, even go to fish shops and ask what they use and see it in action. Heres a link to the AMS's ASM Protein Skimmers

Lee

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I've got 3 really good options in the $350 range, from the ASM G-3, the Red Sea skimmer on Drs F&S, and the Reef Octopus, all rated for around 250 gallons.

tnwillia

Now before you go there.... see which one you can EASILY find repair/replacement parts for on-line (impeller, pump). Nothing worse than getting it and not being able to find an impeller or new pump if it's needed a year or two later. Good luck!

Lee

Now before you go there.... see which one you can EASILY find repair/replacement parts for on-line (impeller, pump). Nothing worse than getting it and not being able to find an impeller or new pump if it's needed a year or two later. Good luck!

Excellent advice!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk