Maxima clam relocation

Akshay

I don't get why people do this but this is what I think...... If the clam is moving from your selected spot to another one, that means it doesn't like that spot. Cutting it from its plug and putting it at the same place again and again is just irritating it & sending it into decline.
Clams move by squirting water and unless they weigh a few kilos, most (i have seen even 6" clams move) will move in your tank till they find their preferred location. Ofcourse they cannot climb your rockwork from the sandbed, but they will orient themselves to a position which is appropriate for them. Sometimes this might not be the most brightly lit position either (there are other factors like neighbours, flow etc..), but this is what the animal prefers... so pls do respect its instinct for survival.

That said you say the clam is going into decline... can you pls elaborate? Has the tissue receeded or are there signs of decay or does it not open completely? Do post your system paras aswell.

Mdk16

Yes it has receded quite a bit. Still open and gaping. It never moved once it was removed from the plug. Opened and closed normally for about a month but now that I look back on the original pictures it started to recede almost immediately after introducing. All parameters are fine, sps and soft corals, inverts and fish are thriving. Nitrates consistently at zero.

reefguy

Just let it be. I put my clams in the tank and don't touch them. I have one that is almost in the back of my tank. It moved there by itself over a few weeks. I don't want it there but I also don't want to kill it by stressing it out. I recommend getting your params perfect and keep your focus on that and let your clam be. You will be surprised that it might just be aggravated and not wanting to come out for some reason that you need to find out.

That's my 2 cents. Nothing comes fast in this hobby. Make sure your basics are not just right but perfect. Hope this helps and hope your clam gets better!

Wolffman64

Mate,
How's your clam going? I'm thinking about getting one as well, but it might be too early for my tank. Has yours recovered?