Maxi jet probs

tontra

Can anyone tell me what might be the cause of my maxi jet 1200 not operating after about 2 miuntes? I plugged in the power head and it works and then abruptly stops. It seemed quite hot and after it cooled down it would work again for a few and then give out again.

I have an achilles tang and I know they love lots of flow. Can anyone recommend a better powerhead that wont break my bank? Or will 3 maxijet 1200's work? I currently have two.

HowardW

Hmmm......MaxiJets are normally very reliable powerheads in my experience. You can try taking off the inlet and see if the magent and impeller are ok, but if it's getting really hot that's not a good sign.

Take a look at he new Hydor Koralia pumps, they are not expensive and give a very nice wide gentle flow and also use much less power then the MJ1200.

InLimbo87

I bought one MJ1200 and it has now become my water change pump because of the amount of heat it put out in my tank. They are reliable pumps that usually work pretty well, so I would also say to take it back if you just bought it. If you are looking for another pump, I have used the Seio M620 with good success. Bought it for somewhere around $40 online and it puts out 660 gph (or somewhere around there). It has a wide, peaceful flow, and uses little energy so didn't raise my temp whatsoever.

I have had this happen before on older MJ, calcium builds up on the shaft, just take it of and use some fine sand paper and sand it down till the impeller/magnet spins freely

tontra

I have had this happen before on older MJ, calcium builds up on the shaft, just take it of and use some fine sand paper and sand it down till the impeller/magnet spins freely

Cool, I think that may be the problem. The tank and all the stuff I bought with it was used, should have mentioned that it wasnt new oooops!

tontra

Whats the closest thing to a Tunze? I hear good things about them but don't want to pay the high price.

prow

i dont know of any that adjust like the tunze. MJ and others can be put on some controllers that will give them the same effect. but i think tunze is the only one that does the surgeing adjusting on its own.

InLimbo87

No you don't need a controller, they can function like any other powerhead. I don't know much about the wavemaster but I would assume that you could use the tunze's just like any other PH.

prow

the thing about tunze is they adjust without going on and off to various gph and the type flow they create is a swirling current, unlike PH's that blow a straight stream. also they have there own controller and can not be used on wavemakers or timers. they are built to run continuously. mine is set at about 600gph and 1200gph alternating about every 45 sec. i am able to set it anywhere between 300gph and 1500gph and can make it alternate between whatever settings from every few sec to i think like 5 min but not sure on that.