Maxi Jet mod kit questions

blue_eyes53813

I have 2 maxi jet power heads with the 1600 mod kits. They work awesome but I took them out about 4 days ago to clean them. I didn't take them apart just soaked them in vinegar water for about 15 minutes and cleaned the outside with a brush and towel..

When I put them back in the tank tank they wouldn't run right. It seems like they reverse flow. They suck water in and water blows out the back towards the glass. I read the booklet on them and there isn't any information why this would happen or even how to fix it.

At this time I took them out and took them apart thinking I broke the impellers or something, But during the initial cleaning I didn't take them apart. Well I didn't see nothing wrong with the impellers. The next day I went to a lfs and they sold me used impellers. brought them home and they still work in reverse.

?????? I dont know what is wrong with them.... Could the power head them self be broke? But I didnt think they would run at all if that was the case.. It is odd that both PH would do this at the same time.... Anybody have any ideas?

Luukosian

The magnet could have reversed polarity....but that would have to have been quite a bit of current to the powerhead to cause that probably....Isn't there a stopper in powerheads that only lets it run one way because they run on AC power? I suppose if you reversed polarity of the magnet inside, the impeller wouldnt even want to go in. Guess im just rambling lol check the stopper.

blue_eyes53813

I need some power head help guys.... Both of my maxi jets are junk... I have fixed these things with no end... Both of them broke again... I am power head shopping today for something with mega water movement..

I also had a seio powerhead that isnt running right...

So 3 out of my 5 power heads in my tank arent running..

I am looking at the tunze stream 2 pump 6125 and the hydor koralia magnum pumps... Im not sure how many I will need but I need alot of flow..

Hydor Koralia Magnum Circulation Pump/Powerhead

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...idProduct~TZ1337~idCategory~FIPHAD~tab~0.html

Any input on these or a cheaper way to go would be greatly appreciated..

Luukosian

So you never did get them working or they just broke again? I was thinking about getting some of the eco mods for my maxi 1200 is that what you had? I would go with the koralia cause its 100 dollars cheaper and I've always heard they're pretty reliable.

ive got a total of 8 maxi 1200s with eco mod, 4 korlia and a couple of little babies. all work fine i would recomend maxi 1200s with mod over korlia , kinda disapointed in them.

trippkid

Just stick your finger in to stop the impeller, then it will right itself and spin in the right direction, that is all I ever have to do with the two I still have if they are going the wrong direction, not a big deal really, IMO.
Matt