Matts 500 gallon funhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
re: Matts 500 gallon funhouse

going out on a limb but induction from local EM sources? It can and does happen in Cat 5 etc cable when near flourescent lights etc. Its a long sordid story but in the twisted pairs of the cable there is a capacitance and inductance that when the caple is near EMI sources, voltage builds up, which in your cace if it was above 0V then the light probably wouldnt turn off. Just a wild ass guess.

I speak Spanish! Electricity from other devices is "arking" into the powercord. I think that AD's first guess is more likely though. :D

DanSReef

Hey Matt... Just catching up on the thread.

Not sure if you have seen this or not. One thing I know is that the Apollo LEDs do not shut down entirely with the command from the controller. I think Joe told me that the fixtures will remain on... unless you shut the power off to them. For me, I run all three cords to the power block of the controller. I control the lights through the control module...but also shut down the outlets when not in use. Of course... it does not solve your issue of the commands not getting to all of the lights... I defer to the guys from Profilux. In your situation... with three lights... I think I would run them to a single power strip....then plug that power strip into your controller powerblock...Then you can then shut down the power to the lights based on a schedule you define for that outlet. I shut my lights completely off overnight. There is no real evidence that moonlights do anything for your corals. The yare really for night viewing....and after I am in bed....I program my tanks to be totally dark.

Apollo Reef LED

RS Sponsor

Hi Matt

Sounds like you already isolated the issue with the wire jiggling however if you want to do a simple test to further confirm, unplug the ethernet cable from the light that is not going off, the light should go off as 0 volt is received.

BR

Joe

ChrisY

Well Matt, did what Joe said work??? Don't make me go all Spanglish on you. :)

Willie McDaries

Matt,something else you can try is to switch the dimmer cables between different lights,if the problem follows the cable you'll know it is the cable,if the problem remains with the same light,it could be an issue with the light,I'm betting on the cable being the issue

dmatt88

That's what I did. I like the way u think. Chris uses big words for this dumb guy. J/j Chris. Kinda

Matt leaves out punctuation.

dmatt88

That's a little like stopping the car to ask for directions right? Don't for that either

Matt leaves out punctuation.

ChrisY

Good point, if my GSP doesnt have it and I cant find it on my own, it doesn't exist or is like Xanadu. :)

ChrisY

Doh! I am busted... Meant GPS. My GSP came loose this afternoon and is upside down and I wan thinking I need to right it before I go to bed. lol

steved13

PREMIUM

LOL, anywhere else, I probably would have read/heard it as GPS and not even given it another thought, but here I'm wondering what the heck is he talking about GSP doesn't have it...

ChrisY

Actually I do now. small little colody that WAS attached to a seperate rock I was going to let them grow out on, but now it looks like the epoxy let go and it flipped over. I might have to break out the super glue now. lol

dmatt88

Here is another example of my stupidity and the benefits if rs. I've been having zoa issues as in them being closed often. Can't figure it out. So there is an occasional snapping in the tank too and sometimes puffs of sand from under the rocks. I've checked everything measurable no problems anywhere . Well yesterday I moved some closed zoas that had plenty of aiptasia n weren't opening and moved them to the sand. Guess what. Today no aiptasia upon further searching there is alot of aiptasia missing n i remember about a year ago I added a ywg n a peppermint shrimp. I've never seen either of them in a year. Today light bulb goes off. Betcha that sneaky shrimp is well fed but strange enough I've not even seen a molt is that possible that the molt is being eaten? Seriously never see the shrimp? A year is a long time.

aropfor1

My fire shrimp molted the other day and my hermits wiped it out in no time. Your little shrimp may still be kicking! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisY

If he is missing... superglue gel or aptaisa-x my man! :)

As to the molting. it always freaks me out int he morning when I see a shrimp carcas floating by and I search for the owner and it is there, just a molted shell floating by. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.