Mattie's 75G ...

mattie

RS Sponsor
born on april 6th 2005
I had all the corals from a nano-reef which was close to overcrowded...
the tank is aga 75 with a single overflow box in the upper corner
canopy and stand are custom
the lighting is 2 icecap 250 mh's running 14k hamiltons and 2 aro ballast's running 3 actinic vho's and 1 10k vho there is also a 65w pc actinic to give dusk dawn lighting its a little to bright for a moon light
the sump is a 20h with a asm G-2 skimmer modified and a mag 7 return
the flow in the tank is from the mag 7 on the return thru a SWCD with a nozzel on each side
the brunt of flow is from the 6- Maxijets aimed like turrets on a ship with 3 running at once on a wave timer it makes alot of current in the tank
i went a little crazy with the epoxy and crazy glue but i think it turned out cool.
I am planning to make some moves in the tank and i do have others corals that are waiting to get in the 75

Last edited:

mattie

RS Sponsor
the sand bed is a little shallow
about 30lbs of sugar arganite and 15 lbs of select olit araganit and about 1 lbs of larger aragnite selects
the sand is about 1- 1 1/4 inchs deep

mattie

RS Sponsor
i went for the most open look i could get.
the original plan was to do a pvc rack and rip tie the rocks to it since i have seen other set up's done this way it is supposed to limit detritus build up. but i couldn't get over the fact that i could still see the pvc unless i used so much rock that it didn't matter
i started out with about 50lb of rock but ended up only using about 35-40.
the reef still is going to grow when i add the rest of my corals to this tank.

SaltySam

Nice! Your tank looks great. I think the hardest part of setting up a new tank is not over filling it right away with live rock. Looking ahead and planning for coral growth definitely saves money on live rock. Every time I've rearraged my tank, as I bought corals and they grew, I've had rock left over. I think of all the money I could have saved by planning ahead. But then again it's a good excuse to start another tank. :spinner: :spinner:

mattie

RS Sponsor
the sump a 20H holding an asm skimmer no baffle exept for the compartment around the electric float switch to limit the wave action on the switch
and you can also see the 2 5.5G tank that are used in the dual drip system one is calcium mag and stronium and the other is buffer so far it is working good. and basically copied and made bigger the system i was using on the nano

Attachments

• sump75.jpg
    sump75.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 189

mattie

RS Sponsor
finished most of the rock work and got the rest of my corals in there minus 2 but this is the set-up as it is tonight. today i put in brand new 14k 250 hami's becouse i got a second hand one that was abumb and my orig. one was almost a year. but now you can see how open i mad the rock work and the calm corner :) Oh yea the ble light light in the sump is a Chavet timer i got from a DJ lighting place on line. rated at 300 watts per channel

Last edited:

rckmtl

That side view looks realy nice! I think your tank is going to look crazy(the good kind crazy) when it grows out.
Do you have a top down view?

mattie

RS Sponsor
i got it at fish world but when i bought it was brown and i was hoping it would turn green which it did sort of with purple and yellow tip's got it for $50
i can't do a top down view becouse the canopy is to big/ heavy for me to lift by myself

jhnrb

very nice setup. wonderful plan and looking for pics as grow out occurs. really like your aquascape. very very nice system.

KimPossible

Very nice mattie. Unique, I like it!

I think the hardest part of setting up a new tank is not over filling it right away with live rock. Looking ahead and planning for coral growth definitely saves money on live rock. Every time I've rearraged my tank, as I bought corals and they grew, I've had rock left over.

Yep... i like to learn the hard way :)

mattie

RS Sponsor
thanks all.
soon i will post some new pics becouse things have finally got their color back and are starting to grow again.

mattie

RS Sponsor
update time

the tank is running good i have had to make some adjustments becouse of the strong water flow blasting the sand around. and i have made some adjustments to my lighting as far as color
here is 4 vho actincs and 2 14k 250's hamiltons.

Last edited:

mattie

RS Sponsor
and this is just the 14k hamiltons on. the tank is starting to color up nicely again and now i can show of some of my new frags i got

Last edited: