Matties 20 G in da Sanctuary 7mo old

mattie

RS Sponsor
My 20 Gallon High Nano Reef
this 7-8 months running and it is healthy

i am running a CPR model 18 fuge as an eco system filter 24hour lights 3 types of macro(grape razor and wineglass) 3 inch DSB and 5 LBS of LR rubble it also hides the heater

2 175GPH power heads run off a wave waker timer to give a switching opposing currents

there is no mechanical filter except were the calurpa has grown so tight it is like a brick! :) in the fuge

the main tank has about 22lbs of LR and 1-1.5 deep sugar arganite

fish include 2 perc clowns and a green mandarin i have had the fish for about 5-6 months now

there is an emerald crab and a redleg mexican hermit in there somewhere
14 astrea snails and 2 mexican turbos an unknown amount of somatella snails and some mysis shrimp , gammours pods from a kit at inland aquatics micro brittle stars and mini astrenia stars and x-mas tree worms on a piece green encrusting porites

softies....... GSP blue/gree zoo's yellow polyps and Xenia pink ricordia green sand polyps and some some shrooms

Squasmo clam about 5 mo old a touch over 3 inchs across

stonies.......... yellow porites Heliopora Hyprophora Sertiatapora-Hysix Pink seriatapora orange montipora capricornus and green monti cap orange montipora digitata and green montipora digitata Blassmossa blue/purple acropora

tankgirl

Hi mattie! Beautiful nano!!! Not sure that's enough light for the clam, tho'. Anyway, Congrats on your gorgeous tank!!!

ScottT1980

Looks good man, I will have to get in touch with you pretty soon so I can see it in person...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Craig Manoukian

Looks awesome!

You may want to move the clam up on your rocks to get it closer to the light as they feed from the zoanthalea algae on it's mantle. This also will protect it from bristle worms that burrow under it in the sand and irritate it's foot.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

mattie

RS Sponsor
wow Thanks every one

about the clam i've had him 5 mo's+ and i used to only have 2x65 watts and only 2 weeks ago upgraded the light and with the old light the squasmo showed good growth they are supposed to be the lowest light requiring clam he has great green color I am not not to worried about the bristle worms there are a few big ones in there and if they haven't done there damage yet i do not think they will harm the clam
the 260 watt pc is a good amount of light in my mind and should grow anything just fine becouse i was surprised at how good the results were with just 130 watts of pc light
i will drop another picture in a few weeks becouse i am getting 3-4 new frags next month a yellow tip pink seriatapora a green acro a purple monti digi and may be a green milipora

again thanks for the kind words i stare at this thing for more than an hour every day as if life depended on it

Maxx

That looks very good! I've got a 20 H also,(Lit w/ a 175 w 10k AB) but I don't think it looks as nice as yours....
I'm jealous...
Nick

mnreefman

Originally posted by tankgirl
Hi mattie! Beautiful nano!!! Not sure that's enough light for the clam, tho'.
squammys are one of the clams that dont require mh... i do agree that pcs are not the way to go... on a 20 gal tank i think it will be okay

mattie

RS Sponsor
more thank you's everybody i'm glad ya like wait tell next month i am getting some cool stuffs :)

i was surprised w/ the positive results w/ the pc's that is why i stuck w/ them my corals have better color than anybody else i know even stuff i have bought right out of the show tank at the LFS gets better color after several days of being in my tank and they run MH and VHO

i thought i read somewhere that mh lights are the fastest to change color spectrum than any other light availble and produce UV light radiation i own a 250w mh light i just wanted to try the new technology of PC lights thats all

and i am impressed w/ the results its hard to tell from a little pic on the net but light does very well for me and the price of the upgrade would have been almost the same to go with a MH retro cause i was thinking a 175 would be nice

Dingo

Hey, Mattie. Your tank is looking great. Clam looks happy to me! You can't argue with success. PC's don't work as well for the folks with the big tanks, that's why they don't like them.

Question for the clam gurus - don't sandbed clams have natural defenses from common scavengers like bristleworms? I mean, in nature there must be way more of that sort of critter than the clam would have to deal with in a tank. My understanding was that a sand-preferring clam would just go cliff diving anyways if you tried to keep it on the rocks.

Maxx

Originally posted by Dingo
Hey, Mattie. Your tank is looking great. Clam looks happy to me! You can't argue with success.
Question for the clam gurus - don't sandbed clams have natural defenses from common scavengers like bristleworms? I mean, in nature there must be way more of that sort of critter than the clam would have to deal with in a tank. My understanding was that a sand-preferring clam would just go cliff diving anyways if you tried to keep it on the rocks.
According to Daniel Knop's book, clams probably have a chemical defense against bristleworms getting in thru the byssal opening. He suspects that clams that contain bristle worms are already sick and their immune response is down. I have some good sized bristles in my tank, and my derasa hasnt shown any signs or symptoms the entire time I've had him. I'm assuming the same applies to my two new Maxima's.
Good call Dingo.
Nick

mattie

RS Sponsor
well i have updates my tank a little after fraging out some of my zoo's and making some trades the tank has a new look in a few weeks i am going to do a little frag and trad w/some local folks :)

Craig Manoukian

Very nice.

Won't that Capricornis, as beautiful as it is, shade out your other corals? Maybe you can place it lower in the water column, eh?

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk: