Mantis shrimp ?

reef dummy

I was thinking about adding a mantis to my fuge that is about 15g's or so. I was wondering if the mantis will eat my pods and critters down there or will he leave them alone and feed on the different stuff I can throw at him. Also any other input on these cool creatures greatly appreciated.

tektite

Not sure if it would go after pods...but anything with a shell is a possible target for it. I threw all my hitchhiker whelks and crabs into my sump, and there was a pile of shells right underneath my mantis's burrow that grew remarkably large.

reef dummy

Good to know, thanks. Think I'll take the plunge tonight. $10.00 not bad for the little guy. What do you feed yours other than your cuc? Any worries about it breaking acrylic?

tektite

I fed mine little pieces of shrimp. What species are you getting? Some get pretty large and might pose a problem to a 15 gallon tank, others stay small and would be fine.

reef dummy

I'm not sure, what do you suggest? I see that peacocks can get quite huge to 8" or so. That would be too large for my fuge. Something around 4 or 5" would be ideal.

djrufio

They need a meaty diet. I feed mine silversides and once a week I'll throw in a hermit or snail. I wouldnt worry about them eating pods but they will eat almost ANYTHING with a shell or that moves slow. I had a really small hermit that I didn't think he would touch at all but Donatello had other plans...

djrufio

Good to know, thanks. Think I'll take the plunge tonight. $10.00 not bad for the little guy. What do you feed yours other than your cuc? Any worries about it breaking acrylic?

acrylic is always better than glass, as long as you don't get a peacock or larger species (5 inches plus) you should be fine. They CAN escape however so thats something to think about