mantis Q

chrome91

sorry if you guys get alot of this question, but here goes

i got a 55g breeder (36x18x20) from a garage sale for $10. Most of the stuff with it was garbage (UGF, FW rocks) but the tank itself is in good shape and has 3/4" glass. ive aways wanted a mantis and have researched like crazy. tank has 60lbs of aragonite, coralife skimmer, and a 4g fuge. my supplier said theres clicking in his rock tank, so if he finds a hitchhiker mantis i get dibs, and if not he will get his phillipine suppliers to catch me a peacock (which i would rather not do due to stressing the mantis, so i said i would wait til the end of this month to see if he finds a hitchhiker). im ordering live rock from him (10-20lbs of cured and coraline filled tonga shelf, which he still has after the ban) to make the mantis a cave. lightings a 40w fluorescent 50/50, but i have tons of PC's and halides i could put on.

basically, to the main point, has anyone had luck with corals and fish with mantis? i know it varies on the mantis's personality, but i just want to get a rough idea. If i go for corals, i will probably hang a 260w PC or 150w MH over the tank, and for fish try a faster cheap fish like a damsel

chrome91

i see bob's got a good assortment of corals, i'll frag some zoas out of my other 55g and see how it goes

EDIT- found bob's info sheet on that post, answered all my questions!

The only thing I would watch out for is that your tank is glass.
I wanted a peacock for a long time but kept being advised against it because I have a glass tank.
They say if your peacock gets mad or misses something it is trying to hit and connects with the glass that it can shatter your tank.

Some people say it is rare enough not to worry about it but i stayed away.

Just some advice.

chrome91

my supplier said no hitchhikers and if i want a peacock getting it shipped this weekend works best for him. im out of town monday and tuesday so i told him to hold it til next wednesday. Im not worried about him breaking the glass, worst case is he bursts the tank. the tanks in the basement with carpet and worst case the tank explodes and i have to vacuum up the water. only bad things would be the heater would run dry, my Koralia would burn out, and my live rock would hit the air.

Intranick

I love mantis shrimps. I have an empty 15g that might become a mantis tank once my reef is set up, that or a freshy tank..