Mantis in the refugium.

thearnley

OK, here's my first question on RS. Not what I though it would be but here go's....I'm putting a 12 gallon fuge on my 210 FOWLR - not so much for the sake of providing a filter for the 210 but I've never had a fuge before so I guess it's just something to 'play around with' and maybe grow some pods, etc., for my 90 gallon reef. I'm thinking about having a mantis shrimp in the fuge - really pretty creatures and very cool. I really don't know much about them though. What is it that makes them so bad for reef tank? What concerns should I have for other inhabitants of the fuge? Mostly it would be macro aglae and pods. Hope I'm not asking a stupid question for my 'virgin' question. :hallo:

PS: I wish I had found this site 2 years ago when I started this hobby...no hobby isn't the right word.....how about LIFESTYLE :)

cbrownfish

Mantis shrimp are predators....stone cold killers. Very cool creatures but they will kill and eat any livestock in the same tank (crabs, snails, shrimp, fish, etc).

A refugium, by definition, is a place where microfauna can proliferate in the ABSENCE of predators. Many run a "refugium" but the primary goal is really to use it as an algae scrubber. A place where they grow algae to reduce nutrients in the system. There is no rule book that says you can't use this 12 gallon tank as a place to "play". :) Just be clear on what your goals are, so you get the anticipated results.

goldenmean

I have a small species mantis in my DT and he is a perfect reef citizen.

Here is a thread with a lot of great mantis info.
Mantis Shrimp Club

There are many species of mantis but only a few deserve their reputation

untilthen

honestly your mantis experiance is gonna depend on the personality of the mantis that you receive... some mantis will ignore fish and go after just crabs... they are known as smashers because of their club like appendages which crush shells...ect.... then you have your spearers which will take out soft flesh creatures such as fish...

and then you have my mantis wall-e who pretty much eats anything i put in the tank...

heres a list of suitable mantis for your tank size... i would personally go with
G. Smithii but u can look around

Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

and if ur going to buy go to
Distributor of Mantis Shrimp, Corals, and other Invertebrates

enjoy

thearnley

Wow. Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. Think I'll wait and add another tank to the 210 FOWLR system next year and make it a mantis tank. I'll keep the fuge as more of a safe place.