Mantis Care

Curtswearing

I became friends with a lot of people with the whole Fluffy saga. For those who don't know it, I had a Peacock Mantis. I jokingly called her Fluffy on the 1st post I ever put up regarding her and the name stuck. She sadly did not survive a Molt and I was mantisless for a while.

Luckily, we had a break in the weather here in St. Louis a while back. When I found out that we were going to be setting a record for warmth in November, I figured I had to get a mantis shipped now or wait until April.

I currently have another Peacock Mantis and she is keeping me company as we speak because I put this tank right on my computer desk.

I have some pic's up in the photo gallery but need to update it. Those pic's don't show the anthelia and mushrooms I have added. I'm also going to be adding more as time goes on.

Some of my Mantis-keeping buddies were doing a HUGE favor for me and worked out a Mantis Care FAQ. (Thanks guys, you have no idea how much I appreciate it).

I have been PM'd by people asking for advice because a lot more people are getting interested in a mantis species tank.

I think this post >>Stomatopods 101 - Basic Care of Mantis Shrimp<< is great.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
No doubt that you and Rouge can give some insight into the world of Manti (is that plural?). How could an invert lose its life in a molt?
On a lighter note, what did you decide to name this mantis?

Curtswearing

Fluffy II is being named by the same friends who put up the FAQ. This reminds me, I need to put up a poll which is overdue.

The prettiest mantis are peacocks IMO. Unfortunately, they have the most problems in aquaria when molting time comes around.

Curtswearing

TG,

I was told it was a boy but it is not emerald green, it is an olive green. In other words, another girl.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Curtswearing

The prettiest mantis are peacocks IMO.

Boy, Curt, I didn't think you were so superficial...LOL :D You don't want to hurt Gonodactylus smithii's feelings now do you?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
here's a pic from dmdaniel over at the RAG
real cool color:yup:

Last edited by a moderator:

mredman

My new mantis

I have finally been convinced by Curt to get my own mantis - isn't it cute?

Attachments

• rz-superman-monti-3.jpg
    rz-superman-monti-3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 58
I plan on getting a mantis shrimp, what do you all recommend I put him in glass tank or acrylic ? I have a 40 gal glass (empty) right now, but I hear they are capable of breaking glass tanks ? opinions ??

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I believe curt in his old thread suggested acrylic and a titanium heater or you could have problems;)

Curtswearing

Most of the tank related questions depends on the species you are going to get.

{copied from the link}
Most hitchhiker mantis shrimp such as Neogonodactylus Wennerae of Florida and others don’t grow larger than 3.5 inches, so a 5-gallon tank or larger is usually a good balance between swim space and not too large a tank that it’s under stocked. O. Scyllarus or Peacock Mantis Shrimp can reach 8 inches and possibly deliver the strongest strike of all stomatopods, so in their case a 10-gallon or larger acrylic tank is a good choice. I've heard of aquarists keeping mantises in Eclipse 6s and larger, and they do seem to be fine since the acrylic is relatively soft, but is likely too thin for species like O. Scyllarus, G. Chiragra and N. Californiensis. That said cases of Mantises breaking their tanks are pretty rare. Acrylic is your best bet for tough smashers, and definitely do not tap on the glass or wave a little red cape in front of it.

Curtswearing

The one other thing I would like to mention applies to any nano tank.

Don't get lazy with your top-offs. Adding a 1/2 gallon of fresh water to a 7.5g nano is a huge swing in specific gravity. There's nothing to worry about here. It is just important to consistently add top-off water rather than putting it off and doing it all at once.