manits shrimp infestation

newbies

Well the name newbies sure is accurate. I had never heard of this kind of shrimp before but now I am afraid that I will have some nightmares over them. My LFS suggested that I have one of these due to the condition of the hermit crab shells laying on the bottom of the tank. I have figured out that I have probably have somewhere between 100 - 200 of them in varying sizes, mainly very tiny. What do I do. I currently have some blue and red leg hermit, snails, 2 sexy shrimp and 1 fire shrimp, as well as, about 15 corals that are all doing very well but are covered with these little guys. The tank was set up in April and has been doing great but now what???

DAHansen

Are you sure you don't have pods... Amphipods that is? If they are Mantis Shrimp, you could always sell them to your LFS for store credit!

DAHansen

They're tiny crustaceans that eat detritus and fish food. They are good things, generally speaking. Most new tanks will have an explosion of them early on. It's a sign that things are going well. They're good little cleaners.

You still may have a large/adult Mantis though. Were the hermit crab shells broken?

newbies

Yes, they looked like they had been broken with pliers. I have just heard some clicking that I am now recognizing as a sign. Is there anything I can put in there short term to eat them??

fishnu

Wow. Lord of Mantis.

Have you seen them ansd they look like the pics? How long are they?

And where are you?

Varga

My guess is you have one Mantis and a billion of these

Attachments

• gallery_1524_6_14484.jpg
    gallery_1524_6_14484.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 142

newbies

the biggest ones that we have seen (2) are about 1/4 inch long and the rest are varying sizes of tiny. We live in British Columbia, Canada

fishnu

A 0.25" Mantis couldn't crack a hermit.

I agree with Varga. Your culprit is singular, larger, and hiding. Pistol shrimp or mantis shrimp.

Your little guys are some kind of pod.

Put out a dish of cocktail sauce and a little lemon.

;)

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
The picture that vargas put up is a mysis shrimp, I have had 4 or 5 "outbreaks" of these since tank was setup a year ago, I would say def. one large mantis, pistol shrimp DO NOT break shells and what not, they use their large claw to "snap close" so fast that a small bubble is generated, then It pops and sends a shockwave to stun fish/shrimp/etc. Mantis Shrimp just BREAK it, hit it with a force that is equivalent to what I have heard to a .22 bullet.
the mantis is your culprit.....trap em!

here is a pistol shrimp for reference, this is mine, taken yesterday. He doesnt bother anything at all, only about an inch or so long.
pistolshrimp6-17-082.jpg

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
He is totally awesome, no goby pair, so he is basically TOTALLY blind, but he was out eating last night, he would come out slow, there was a hermit in front of him, he crawled ontop, tryin to figure what that was, sat there, and runs back to his hole, this continued for 15 minutes or so....

newbies

Thanks a lot for all your information. We will try to wash him out tonight. I will update you as to our success

BEELZEBOB

the biggest ones that we have seen (2) are about 1/4 inch long and the rest are varying sizes of tiny. We live in British Columbia, Canada

you most likely do not have a mantis shrimp.

majority of the speies found as HH in LR, are still in the larval stage at 1/4".

Stay away from that LFS:apint: