Mandrin question

Varga

1 month in tank, feeding and active but always behind the rocks! always! he shows his face but if theres any movement in the room, he goes into hiding again. no other fish to bully him, no sign of stress and very chubby.

would it help if i get him a female?

thank you.

leonick

1 month in tank, feeding and active but always behind the rocks! always! he shows his face but if theres any movement in the room, he goes into hiding again. no other fish to bully him, no sign of stress and very chubby.

would it help if i get him a female?

thank you.
mandarins are very shy. what do you feed them? it is usually hard to get them to eat in captivity. mine died within 2 months

heels92

I got lucky...and so it sound like you did as well.

Your mandarin is surviving...and has found food.

taklein65

Re: Mandarin question

My Mandarin is doing fine took him a few weeks to get use to us moving around the tank but now he doesn't dart off unless you move really fast. Very peaceful to watch. He eats the pods in the tank all day long. He looks healthly nice color.

Last edited:

naperenterprise

They like to find that "hot spot" within your live rock where it can feed on all the little critters it likes to eat. Copapods are needed for them.

Unfortunatly I got one (It was a rescue so to speak) and he didnt last very long, I think my tank was to new at the time...

I felt really bad! Now I don't think I would get another unless I had a well established LARGE tank with lots of live rock...

Craig Manoukian

Yes, a good stable population of pods is a must for long-term success. A year old tank is usually the best starting point.

BoomerD

Yes, a good stable population of pods is a must for long-term success. A year old tank is usually the best starting point.

Also worth mentioning...it requires a LARGE tank for a mandarin to thrive...they're definitely NOT nano-fish, inspite of their small size.

SATELLITE

mine was a rescue aswell. very thin body and big head. the petstore just didn't have anything there for him to eat and i knew i did so i had to try and i think its been 5 months and i still have hima nd his body now looks like his head. hes in a 33g tank also

naperenterprise

Great job! I'm glad he's doing well (5 months sounds pretty sucessful!)
Just wish I could have done the same...

There is a very lame store in my area, I just don't understand why they run it the way they do???

Its like they bring in animals to die or something... its very bad!

mine was a rescue aswell. very thin body and big head. the petstore just didn't have anything there for him to eat and i knew i did so i had to try and i think its been 5 months and i still have hima nd his body now looks like his head. hes in a 33g tank also

Varga

Thanks for the response guys and gals.

I made sure there were billions of pods before I got him. I introduced Tigger pods and feed live brine twice per month. also have two scooter Dragonettes they were rescued from Petco and have gained a lot of weight.

Mandarin still hides ALL THE TIME! still chubby but very very shy. would getting him a female help or would they both hide?

Varga

There is a very lame store in my area, I just don't understand why they run it the way they do???

Its like they bring in animals to die or something... its very bad!

tell me about it! even the good stores in my area are now crappy with fish killing each other in tiny tanks and dead corals under obviously shot halides :(

Terri

I had one for 6 yr very fat male he would also eat frozen brine shrimp. he died when the sea apple died. i know better now. But i have the seahorse tank and got another one about 8 mo ago she to eats frozen brine shrimp along with pods. Of course live mysis is also in the tank along with bbs for the sun coral. she eats very well and is fat. So in a pinch try bs.

BoomerD

You folks do realize that brine shrimp, (especially frozen brine shrimp) is the equivalent to popcorn...it's probably somewhat tasty, may be fun to eat, but is nutritionally worthless?
Mysis is a far better option for all your fish than brine shrimp...

Craig Manoukian

Oh, you beat me to it BoomerD. Another consideration is not al mysis created equal, check for the higher value/percentage of protein on the package.

lcstorc

Check for the saltwater mysids. Many of the higher protein mysis are actually fresh water and don't have the proper nutrients for salt.