mandrains and scooter blenny

tnwillia

Yes they can but both's primary food are pods, you need to be ready to support that if your current population won't. Good luck!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
If I remember correct ur tanks approximately 6 months old correct? Buddy, all truth I think you'd b doing the fish a disservice by adding now. Watch the tank for pods. Along the edge in the sand is the easiest place for me to spot them. When u look n go oh man that's crazy. Then ur ready. Mine took a year n a half probably.

.........yep. I'm a reefer.

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
Both of the above are great advice, and I agree with both.

One thing to add, there are tank bred mandarins that eat pellet food. I can't remember where I saw them, I wanna say live aquaria but not sure.

Even then be careful, pods are certainly best.

@ConwayCorals subscribe for the latest updates!

N83259

The December 2011 issue of Coral Magazine had a great article on training mandarin dragonettes to eat frozen brine shrimp and other foods.

ChrisOaty

I've done a bit of research on this and have lightly followed ORA's progress on raising "trained" mandarins. I've had 3 LFS tell me the trained ORA mandarins are a 50/50 still and it seems to be up to the fish. Some people get lucky, others...not so much. The thing to remember is that we have a responsibility to these animals and can't detach ourselves from this risk because it is our pets that may pay the ultimate price. Just keep this in mind before buying even a "guaranteed trained" mandarin. That being said, I agree with Matt. I remember having my first 14 gallon biocube. 6 months later my friend and i were finishing cleaning up after a party and peered into the tank...the sand was alive. Thing is, this is a tiny tank that would never be able to house a mandarin. A tank 3 times as large might take 3 times as long to house a healthy and thriving pod population that wouldn't be decimated by a mandarin in a matter of weeks/months.

ChrisOaty

There are other ways...

One of my dream fishes is a mandarin goby, but having only a 40b set up currently, I may not have enough volume to have a self-sustaining population of pods for a mandarin. My solution: Pump water into a 2 gallon container from my overflow that will gravity drop water into my display tank. Within this 2 gallons I will house chaeto. This provides a "mother colony" of pods that are free from predation. As they overpopulate, they should trickle into the display tank without being chopped up by a pump.

N83259

Chris: I agree with your post. The author of the 12/2011 article in CORAL magazine makes this point too and his method directly addresses this fact. Interestingly enough, he defies conventional wisdom and has achieved success in 30 gallon tanks. He calls the pod population just a "snack."