Mandarin Dragonet?

lbiminiblue

Hey guys! Been ages since I've last visited.

The tank is doing well. The new LEDs have my frogspawn and other corals growing ridiculously fast, and my two clownfish are happy as can be.

With summer coming up, I was looking at some new additions for the tank. Looking at my rocks and glass, I'm confident there's enough copepods to sustain a dragonet, in addition to my plan of training it to eat frozen worms from a feeding container - can't remember who it was that told me about that, but he was very well-informed and had a good method of doing it.

My question is this - I have lots of aiptasia in my tank. A LOT. They aren't harming the corals, probably because the corals are well established and can fend them off, but it doesn't change the fact that every rock has at least 5-10 anemones. Knowing that dragonets hang out on rocks pretty much their whole lives, would this be a problem? I'm not sure if he'd constantly get stung by them, until being killed by the stinging. Anyone have experience with this? Don't want to buy one and have him die from something so easily avoidable.

Thanks!

DaveK

I would get rid of the aiptasia one way or another. For something that small they have a decent ability to sting.

Kman237

First let me start off saying I'm no expert... You should be fine with the aiptasia and that fish. I would highly recommend getting rid of it. There are so many methods out there do some research on it and wage war on those things. It will be worth it in the end.

Good luck! :cheers:

lbiminiblue

Great points all. It's been a drawn out battle that I've slowly lost. I've gone through some of the motions - Aiptasia X, lemon juice, the works, but there's too many, and in some cases the AipX just seems to tickle them for a few hours before they puff up again.

Right now I have a small community of Berghias in the tank. They've been there since October, so I can only assume they're reproducing because I see them to this day, but I guess they haven't reached that critical mass needed yet. I've seen them eat Aiptasia entirely - tentacle to foot, but there's still a ton in the tank. My only guess is the tank's size has really limited their chances of meeting another nudibranch to mate with.

Will see how it goes.