Mandarin concerns

flricordia

I just got bought a tnak containing abotu 150# LR, bookos of mushrooms, some torch coral, a couple leathers, a flame angel, blue tang, cardinal, inverts and a mandarin. Really fat and healthy looking.
The prevoius owner had had the mandarin for over a year. There was a 2" sandbed, but it was really nasty so I didn't try to save it.
I am concerned whether the mandarin wil have enough to eat now that the SB is gone. I kept the rock submerged the entire move process so wonder if there would be enough for it to feed on jsut from the rock.
Any mandarin keepers otu there got any info? Guess it is a tough call, but I didn't loose anything in the move.
Some nice yumas included too, hehe.

framerguy

Is there anywhere around that you could buy some pods? Do you have another established tank to house him in temporarily? I've got MILLIONS to spare but that does you no good at all. How about closer friends with pods? Also there should be pods in the LR, not just the sand. I wish I could offer more encouragement.

blue_eyes53813

See if it will eat brine,cyclopeeze or and slow floating foods. Turn off the powerheads and hopefully it will eat. Check out our sponsors for bottled pods or ask your lfs for some sand from there tank to hopefully get some pods.

flricordia

Petland sells the tigerpods in the small bottle. They are live so I might get a bottle or two. The ebay add looks good too though. I wish I could see the mandarin, but the LR filled the 65gl I put it in to the max. I need to get rid of some for sure. I will probably go wuth the 150glbut still have to pick it up and I want too resilicone it first in black.

caitrina

I buy bottled pods every few weeks for my mandarin just to make sure he always has enough. When I first go tthe mandarin I hardly ever saw him except when the tank was dimly lit or first thing in the morning, now I see him out all the time, in fact that is a picture of him in my avatar which I just took a day or so ago.

DaveK

I have had some success feeding mandarins with frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, and live black worms.

However it does depend upon the individual fish. Some take to other foods, other mandarins will only eat pods.

flricordia

I buy bottled pods every few weeks for my mandarin just to make sure he always has enough. When I first go tthe mandarin I hardly ever saw him except when the tank was dimly lit or first thing in the morning, now I see him out all the time, in fact that is a picture of him in my avatar which I just took a day or so ago.

What brand are you geting and what is the cost?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
With 150 lbs. of mature LR I wouldn't be concerned IMHO, the pods usually hide within the rockwork not the sandbed. Although a mature SB would provide an additional food source for the Mandarin you could try to supplement his diet with frozen foods such as Mysis shrimp, and the blood worms as DaveK mentioned.