Majestic Angel

Shells

Hey Everyone!!!
We have the fish,,,,yesterday we purchased a Majestic Angel, she is
just beautiful! I've been trying to take a good pic to post, but have had
no luck...:(

My question is, she needs to be feed three times a day. She is about 3" in length, from head to tail. Should i purchase an auto. feeder? or is it ok
to feed her with the rest of the gang when i come home??

Cougra

I wouldn't waste money on an automatic feeding system unless your fish accept flake or freeze dried food. Those feeders aren't designed to feed fresh or frozen foods. They are also prone to over feeding the tank. If you do decide to get one, make sure that you are there when it dispenses the food for the first few times so you can get a feel for how it opperates and how much it dispenses. Actually I would recommend that you don't even have it over the tank until you are certain it's not going to dump too much food into the water.

Because the angelfish is so small and they are very active fish, I would recommend feeding in the morning, just after you get home from work and later on in the evening. Don't feed them MORE then you would if you were only going to feed once a day, but split up the portion into more feedings. Also make sure you put some fresh Nori in the tank in the morning so they can have something to pick at during the day. This will help hold them over until you get home. As she grows you wont need to feed as often.

Shells

Mornin everybody!!
I've got a different question pertaining to the Majestic angelfish.
I've read that they are sort of a loaner fish and dont really like to be messed with. And that if a fish were to bother it too much, that would
put stress on the angel, but, that you couldnt tell if that was really
happenin....so that being said, , , (PS this is where i read that,,,,
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/angelfish/majesticangel/
In my tank, i've got a salfin tang that is following the angel all around and
does what the angel does, ex. eat seaweed from the clip, swim here, dart
there. Its not as bad as it was the first two days, where the tang would try and jab the angel. I only saw that last night as the M.H. had gone off and just the blue atenics where on. And, the tang is starting to swim off for
a bit, just a bit.
I'm worried that the tang is gonna put too much stress on the angel fish and that i wont be able really tell the affects of that until its too late. I'm
wondering if i ought to catch the tang and get him outta there before
that happens, or should i give it a little more time, (like by the end of the
week or something). this is such a beautiful fish,,,,:) what should i do??:tears:

Cougra

I think you will be able to tell if the angel is stressed.
It will not adapt if it senses a threat from tankmates. Keep in mind we humans may not notice any threat from other fishes, but the fish will.
What I think that article was saying is that fish will be intimidated by other species even if we don't think they should be. We will notice the stress, but not necessarily the source of the stress. Some animals are more aggressive then others and estabilished tank mates are more likely to bully new tank mates then established ones. Even some types of clownfish, damselfish, chromis, grammas, dottybacks, etc can be aggressive and stress out new animals even though they have a reputation for being "community type" fish.

Stress normally appears as a very shy fish that hides all the time, doesn't eat very well, and has poor/pale colouring. Some fish develop stress patterns. (Yellow tangs get dark patches on their sides, clownfish colouring fades to a pale orange, vivid blacks can appear greyish, rapid breathing, "pacing" up and down the side of a tank, etc.) For the momment I would keep an eye on them and not worry too much unless you see any signs of stress in the fish. From what you have described I don't think it is in too much stress as it's still out and about and still eating. Keep an eye on it's colouring, if it gets paler then normal or starts hiding a lot then I would consider removing the tang. Normally it does take the fish a while to adjust to new surroundings and activity around the tank so I would have a bit of patience and see how they sort themselves out.

Shells

Thanks Michelle !!! Again!!! :thumbup: I hope to figure out the use of my camera so i can take a good picture of him to post! He/she sure
is beautiful!!

KimPossible

Hi Shells,
My Majestic is shy. I have a large rock that provides a safe place for it when it wants to hide, which is a good portion of the time. He cruises, then goes behind and then cruises..... over and over again. I also keep a clip of nori on the tank wall about 3x a week.
When I first got him, I noticed a pale patch on his forehead, it would come and go. It worried me until I found that it was common on this species.
Here is a pic of mine getting ready to cruise :)
Xenia_and_Majestic.jpg

Shells

Thanks Kim, mine starts hiding behind the rock towards the end of the day
I think she/he is trying to get away from my Salfin..which i've decided to catch...i'm so worried about that angel. I have noticed those spots you
mentioned that seem to come and go. Glad its ok. :) i'm trying to take
a picture of him, but my camera skills are lacking...:(

I'd like to add a powder blue and a Nassua and a Blue tang, but am unsure
of the placement order...or if they can be added all at once. we only have
a 29 gal Q.T. tank...any ideas???? or thoughts??? :)

Cougra

Personally I would wait a couple months before introducing any more fish. This will give the angel time to grow a little and settle in. What size tank do you have? You are talking about introducing three more fish that require heavy grazing and the powder blue tang is just as/if not more delicate then the angel you currently have. They don't have a great track record and usually succomb to ick.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I'd like to add a powder blue and a Nassua and a Blue tang, but am unsure
of the placement order...or if they can be added all at once.

How large is your tank ? I prefer to add them at the same time, the problem is that Tangs are soo susceptible to ick in particular the PBT and the Regal that it's a big chance to take. Could your LFS hold them for several weeks for ya ?

Shells

well, my quarentine tank is 29 gal, which is were i wanted to put the fish first. our main tank is 150 gals. i'm sure our LFS would hold them is he ordered them for us. I was thinking about ordering
them online and have them shipped directly to our house...

PS our Q.T. is not quite ready to accept fish, we're still gettin 'parts'..hehe i'd suspect it to
be ready in about a month...

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Then it's probably not a good idea to add them simultaneously. I would setup the QT make sure it's fully cycled and Q one fish at a a time and try varying the sizes adding the smallest first.

BTW gorgeous fish Kim, how does he behave around corals ?

Witfull

Disclaimer: dont do as i do!

i dont QT. when l am getting a fish, i study the store, looking at all fish. then closely observing the prospective fish from a distance for behavior and signals of distress. if all works well, i bring them home, and do a drip acclimation with a strong treatment of Malachite Green. another rule i break is getting fish on the same day of arrival at the LFS. get the fish into a stable established tank, IMHO is much less stressful than going into from wholesaler tank, to LFS tank, to a barren QT, then finally into display.

i do this for myself and dont say it for everyone.

if your adding several tangs,,,,which could lead to a territory issue, IMHO its best to add them all at once. less shance of tang on tang agression and divides any agression from current fish in tank to 3 fish instead of one.

Shells

Thanks Witful and Cheeks! Witfill, i do as you do,,usually. Infact thats what we did to all our fish, encluding the Angel.
But, like I said before,we're thinking of getting these fish on-line, so i'd be very nervious adding them to our main tank. but this may be subject to change, seeing how well our angel has adjusted. She was in the LFS
for almost 24 hours. But I think the key to her success is she is sooo
healthy. I'll have pics today i hope...:)

KimPossible

Thanks Cheeks! I know the Majestic has a "Reef Cautious" tag. Fortunately for me, I have had no issues. I do take care to meet its nutritional values and grazing instincts though. When I first bought him, I was told to keep it fed correctly or he’ll start trying out every thing in the tank. I have had the angel almost 2yrs now.