Main Return Pump not working!!!

Seagars

how long can i go without the main return pump not working? can i wait to get a new from red sea or what other options do i have?

David Shaw

I assume you have an S Series RSM ?

Mine failed once but it was due to the impeller needing a clean. This is what i did...

If it has failed, have you found out why? Try stripping it down and cleaning it. It could well be that the impeller needs a clean. Try dipping it in ascetic acid or a weak vinegar solution for 30 mins or so and then give it a scrub with a toothbrush then rinse. The impeller needs to spin freely, so clean and then check it spins ok. I also squirted a little silicone spray on the tips of the impeller to help lubricate it when it spins. Then re-assemble and it should work again.

If you still can't get it to work you will need to put a heater into circulation pump chamber to keep the water temp ok and then run the circulation pumps as usual, that should be fine for your tank in the interim until you get a replacement. I would also turn the skimmer and chiller off while you get a new main pump sorted.

I bought a new main pump as a spare just in case of emergency. Hopefully a good clean should sort you out.

when you say main return pump.. im wondering if you have a second pump for return in use?

as long as there is some flow in the tank from atleast one pump and circulating through the sump, etc, you should be fine with this.

if there is no other return pumps, and no flow in the tank, your timer is already ticking. you should try to get aeration in the tank, air hose pumps would work well. but this will not last a long time. ive lasted maybe 36 hours on air pumps alone during a power outage but wouldnt push it.

hope this helps.

Seagars

soaked it for a couple of hours and then started back up... for a short period of time and then gave back out again.
next step??? ARG

David Shaw

If it started then failed again it sounds like the impeller isn't clean.

Try this..

Take apart the main pump. Go easy on the screws so you don't damage the threads. Then take the cover off and get to the impeller. Take it out and gently scrape the ceramic tips. I did it with a kitchen knife. Be sure to return the rubber washers in exactly the same positions. Put the impeller back and make sure the tip spins once it is in place. If it does't spin freely it will fail again. Re-assemble and then you should work fine again.

Any calcium deposits etc on the ceramic tips could stop it spinning and make it fail so make sure it is really clean and no deposits on it, and ensure it spins with ease.

ziggy

If it started then failed again it sounds like the impeller isn't clean.

Try this..

Take apart the main pump. Go easy on the screws so you don't damage the threads. Then take the cover off and get to the impeller. Take it out and gently scrape the ceramic tips. I did it with a kitchen knife. Be sure to return the rubber washers in exactly the same positions. Put the impeller back and make sure the tip spins once it is in place. If it does't spin freely it will fail again. Re-assemble and then you should work fine again.

Any calcium deposits etc on the ceramic tips could stop it spinning and make it fail so make sure it is really clean and no deposits on it, and ensure it spins with ease.

If you have time also soak the ceramic tips in solution of 50% white vinegar for about a half hour. that should dissolve the calcium
There should be no white calcium left

David Shaw

Mine failed but with a good cleaning it re-started and is running fine. I had some precipitation from additives and that's what caused the build up on my impeller, but after a good clean it re-started fine. Mine is 2 years old now. To be on the safe side i ordered a spare main pump in case something like that cropped up again but have never had to use it.

Not sure what else i can suggest. If you are under warranty it would be worth contacting Red Sea to see if they can organise a replacement.

Seagars

i always start with contacting RS.
Mine failed but with a good cleaning it re-started and is running fine. I had some precipitation from additives and that's what caused the build up on my impeller, but after a good clean it re-started fine. Mine is 2 years old now. To be on the safe side i ordered a spare main pump in case something like that cropped up again but have never had to use it.

Not sure what else i can suggest. If you are under warranty it would be worth contacting Red Sea to see if they can organise a replacement.

mikecc

no go. is it common that these break down so quickly? about year or so

Mechanical breakdowns are common place in this hobby. Either it runs, or it don't. I like having a NIB replacement laying around somewhere. To be honest, only pump I got a back up for is my aqualift. I do want to upgrade my return pump, but when I do, I plan on getting a back up for it. The return pump I do got has been running for about 6 or 7 years, no problems at all. But, with the installation of my controller, I now shut it off at least once a day (feed pause, or maintenance pause), so the restarts will surely bring it down, eventually. At minimum a replacement impeller would be smart, you would think? I dunno.

Seagars

well it also looks that having a replacement is easy but do they work with the plug and play system of red sea?
i have a replacement pump but it looks like i am making a trip to home depot to fit the system.

David Shaw

I am in the UK so just googled UK aquarium supplies and they had it listed under S Series Spares. It was about £250 if memory serves, but money well spent for peace of mind just in case the original one quits.