Magnetic frag mounts

panmanmatt

Well this was my first attempt at making these so figured I'd chronicle it here.

The magnets I purchased already epoxy coated as it was cheaper than buying the materials and doing it myself.

These are the magnets I ordered:
K&J Magnetics - Products

Here they are when they arrived.
fragmagnets005.jpg

fragmagnets006-1.jpg

For my first attempt at using them I just glued some frags I had already mounted on frag disks to the magnets.
fragmagnets003.jpg

fragmagnets004.jpg

fragmagnets007.jpg

And here they are in the frag tank. Please excuse the HA.

fragmagnets008.jpg

fragmagnets009.jpg

fragmagnets010.jpg

I am going to try gluing some to egg crate to see how the are for holding a frag rack. I am also looking into some 3/4" magnets but they were out of stock right now.

panmanmatt

Yup. It takes up less real estate that a frag rack and you don't need a separate frag tank to use them.

zy112

Ah thats a real good idea then. Have you fragged acro then? I would think they would grow sideways?

panmanmatt

I haven't myself but yes acros can grow sideways. I may get a few friends to try them with a couple acro frags just to se how they do with the heavier weight.

panmanmatt

So far I have done a kenya tree (one in the pics) and a xenia frag I mounted to the back glass of my reef tank.

Cassette87

this is also a great idea if you're trying to get a certian coral, like xenia to grow on the back glass and you don't want to use superglue :) nice work!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Now that's the way to get the most out of your frag tank! Build coral condos!:lol: Cool idea Matt!

boozeman

very cool Matt :thumbup:
...I wonder how well they hold up over time as the coral grows and becomes heavier? please keep us updated

panmanmatt

Thanks Scott. It was actually Al's post on magnets that inspired me to get off my butt and move with this.

Now to find some stick heads to give it a go with SPS frags. I bet with the stronger 3/4" ones you could grow a nice monti cap on the back glass.

panmanmatt

Good point Rob. I will definitely keep this updated.

The 3/4" ones I am waiting on have a 33+lbs pull force to them. That should hold just about any size coral.

panmanmatt

OK I got the large magnets in finally. I went ahead and made up 1 frag magnet and one frag rack so far. The rack utilizes 2 sets of magnets and is capable of holding 24 frag plugs or about 12 frag disks. All my testing for weight so far has been done on a 29 gallon tank. I don't have actually numbers for the weight but you can get an idea by the size of the pieces that I used.

Frag rack:
fragmagnets010-1.jpg

fragmagnets009-1.jpg

fragmagnets007-1.jpg

fragmagnets006-2.jpg

fragmagnets005-1.jpg

slakker

I found some locally that are nickel plated instead of the black epoxy... it there any concerns of nickel being used in the tank? Couldn't find anything definitive re: toxicity of nickel...

panmanmatt

I'm not sure about the nickel. I would imagine that it will eventually rust in saltwater.

You get 2 part epoxy from a craft/hobby store and coat the magnets in that just to be safe.