Magnesium question

Fishdad1

Like I posted in my chronicle, I'm getting my feet wet in dosing. But I have a specific question about magnesium...

I purchased Seachem Reef Adv. Magnesium. Using the JDIECK reef chem calculator, just to raise mag by 100ppm would take about 140 tspns! If my math is correct that's more than the whole 600 gram jar of magnesium.

Is this correct, or am I missing something about magnesium here?

saltfan

5 level teaspoon will raise 20 gallons of water by about 5 mq/L do not dose more than 5 teaspoons a day. I bought there Ca. Mg and Alk. to use with my dosing pump and wanted to mix up gallon jugs and found the math to difficult to figure out, so switched to BRS 2 part very simple.

Fishdad1

5 level teaspoon will raise 20 gallons of water by about 5 mq/L do not dose more than 5 teaspoons a day. I bought there Ca. Mg and Alk. to use with my dosing pump and wanted to mix up gallon jugs and found the math to difficult to figure out, so switched to BRS 2 part very simple.

How do I convert meq/l to ppm?

slfcaptain

I haven't seen Mg expressed as meq/L just Alk. A quick web search didnt yield a conversion factor.

How much do you want to raise your Mg by?

steve

Fishdad1

I'm at 1200. I thought raising it to 1300 would be safe number to give me room for fluctuation. According to this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html I would need 142.5 tsps; 712.5 grms; 25.1 oz to raise it by 100ppm. I just wanted to double check if that sounds right with 150g water volume. I'm pretty sure that would exhaust the bottle since its net weight is 600 grams.

saltfan

Yeah I was never sure on the math for the seachem products even after a phone call to them I was still confused. So I didnt trust my calculations and switched. Still have the Seachem stuff in the cabinet.