magfloat question and filter floss question

molsen187

i'm not sure if this is in the right section so i'm sorry if it is in the wrong one. i have a magfloat that i used to use on my 55g. that tank crashed awhile ago and i decided to downsize and i now have a 4g pico tank. i was wondering if i could use the magfloat to scrape the algae in the 4g tank or if it would actually crack the glass of the pico. does anybody have any advice on this? it would be greatly appreciated. i don't mind going out and buying the smaller one for it i just dont know if it is neccassary.

also when people are buying filter floss for thier tanks from say walmart or a store like that, what brand are you buying? i saw one that was called poly-fil and it looked ok but am not sure if it the right kind. it said "meets all flammable requirements of the state of california, do not use near open flame..." i don't know if that helps at all but figured it couldnt' hurt to throw it in. thanks again for any help or advice you can offer.

BLAKEJOHN

If your very carefull with the mag float there shouldn't be a problem, although, it may be a little big. You might just want to get a smaller one to make things easier on yourself.

The Poly-fil you are referring to is for pillow filling and stuffed toys. I used to use it back in the day for my freshwater tank. But in a saltwater tank there is really no need for it as we, or at least I, try not to use medias that trap alot of debris. I would imagine that it is safe to use but I dont know for sure.

molsen187

i was going to just throw a little bit in the ac70 i have on the back of my 4g and change it out every few days once it got brown. i just remember reading somewhere that it had to be nonflame retardant or something like that i just wanted to make sure it was the right stuff. i see what you are saying with the trapping of debris but with the smaller tank i think it will be benificial as long as i stay on top of changing the small amount that is in there out.

BLAKEJOHN

i was going to just throw a little bit in the ac70 i have on the back of my 4g and change it out every few days once it got brown. i just remember reading somewhere that it had to be nonflame retardant or something like that i just wanted to make sure it was the right stuff. i see what you are saying with the trapping of debris but with the smaller tank i think it will be benificial as long as i stay on top of changing the small amount that is in there out.

That is Key....In a small tank like a 4gl, you need to be on top of it 24/7. One wrong move or a day of neglect and this size tank can go severly wrong.

molsen187

the best thing about the tank is it's right in my room so i have to go by it everyday so i stay pretty on top of it.