Macroalgae for Seahorse Tank

Hello Pony People!
I recently had a leak in my 25 gallon seahorse tank and managed to find a great deal on a 37 gallon column tank. It's cycling right now and since I've had time to think about it, I've decided I'm done with the plastic plants and fake corals. Because I'm looking to keep it a relatively low maintenance system, I thought macroalgaes would be a better option than corals.

Which macroalgaes have you guys been successful with in your pony tanks, and what precautions do you take to make sure they don't "go sexual" and cloud up your tank?

On a side note, do you guys think 2 pairs of Erectus would be good for that size of a tank? I just have one now.

erectus get big and are messy eaters, I think one pair would be enough. what is your lighting like?

When I had two in my 25 gallon hex, it still seemed empty. This is a 37 gallon column. They were tiny at that point though. I haven't bought my lighting yet. I'm thinking about getting a Coralife Aqualight because it's cheap and there aren't many 20 inch lights out there.

panmanmatt

I like gracillaria, codium and the grape caulerpa for seahorse tanks. The easiest way to keep the from going sexual is to prune them regularly.

As for 2 pairs in a 37, I think you'd be fine. I currently have 4 1 yo erectus females in a 37 gallon tank and they are doing great.

I like gracillaria, codium and the grape caulerpa for seahorse tanks. The easiest way to keep the from going sexual is to prune them regularly.

As for 2 pairs in a 37, I think you'd be fine. I currently have 4 1 yo erectus females in a 37 gallon tank and they are doing great.

Thank you Matt. The 37 gallon column tanks seem pretty uncommon with reefers but is perfect for seahorses, so I'm having a hard time finding people who have dealt with stocking them before. Codium is my favorite macro (never had it, just love how it looks and probably makes an awesome hitch). I just worry that it might grow super slow. If I want a decent amount should I buy more than one rather than hoping it multiplies itself? I just put some Red Gracillaria in yesterday and my plans are to put Codium on the rockwork, Red Grape Caulerpa in the sand on each side of my rock island, and either Fern Caulerpa or Caulerpa Prolifera to cover the sandbed. I like the look of Seagrass but don't really want a deep sandbed, so I thought this would do it. I really hate the look of super packed macro tanks that aren't scaped in any way, so I'd really like to stick to just a few species.

Any input or pictures of your setup would be extremely appreciated :hallo:

johnmaloney

well and I should say that I thought 2 erectus seahorses in my 72 along with a small gulf pipefish was a lot. I am pretty conservative with fish stocking in general, you now how it is with opinions...that was just mine. I also have boring tanks though. :)

Under optimal conditions codium grows fairly quickly. Optimal conditions unfortunately would be a good amount of turbulent flow. Lower temperature for fastest growth, I think around 72-74 degrees would be good for most tropical species you bump into, with fairly bright lighting. Caulerpa prolifera might not agree with your plans to keep it looking scaped though. :) Just a hint, it tends to grow toward the light, so plant the front row, and let it fill in backwards.