Lunar wrasse?

I think smaller fish would suit you better. Some of the ones that I like are Neon Dottyback, Black Cap Basslet, Carpenter Wrasse, and a blue flasher wrasse. most of theese are somewhat pricy.

zy112

Great job researching before buying, like wit said. I have had one and loved it but def not for every tank. Mine was suprisingly fairly peaceful and never even had any spats with other fish. Was a very active swimmer, def the fastest fish I ever owned

jstorey

I had a lunare when I had a fish only system and agree with all of the above. I had glass tops but he jumped out 3 times when I had it open to clean or feed. Wiped out the entire cleaning crew and almost killed a tusk fish before I got it out and returned it. Check out fairy and flashers wrasses. They are all reef safe and stay in the 3-6 inch range and most have stunning colors. I have 7 in my 300 gallon and love em, colorful and very active.

Ducky

Annie,
i also had this love for the beautiful lunar wrasse. My desire for a bigger wrasse started with my hate for bristle worms a few years back lol.
As time went on and I read and asked around. like you I dismissed the lunar. BUT I did get a wrasse. it is a gold bar wrasse.
Said to be much less aggressive and a tad smaller. Still a very pretty wrasse.

when I set this tank up I was thinking WRASSE, so I made a grate for the top.

Maybe some others have this gold bar wrasse or a less aggressive wrasse and will share some thoughts.
Ducky

zaprozdower

So I just purchased a Lunare for my dad and am apprehensive about putting him in the tank in T-minus 90 minutes. I have a sailfin, blue tang, clownfish, and firefin goby. Also have a hermit crab and just brought 10 turbo snails and 3 cleaner clams. Are any of these likely to get eaten/destroyed? Im afraid for the Goby, hes pretty small and the prettiest and might end up as food...

BobBursek

STOP, NO NO NO, do not add him Goby will be the first thing to go, then eats crabs, bully fish, pretty fish for a gresive tank but get to be a foot long, had one finally had to break down the tank to get him out, mentor same problem.

Ducky

gshhh zaproz., I saw this and just was not brave enough to tell you what rbursek just did. Back last spring I got my lovely wrasse ( a few posts up from yours on this thread). Gorgeous. Heaven only lasted a couple months, weeks in the tank after the wrasse was added. even though the gold bar is said to be less aggresive...he about finished my tank for me. He now lives elsewhere. I learned the hard way. Sorry to rain on your parade....but you did ask....good luck to you dear.
Ducky

zaprozdower

Well that makes me unhappy, wrasse is already in there. It's actually my dads tank so you can tell me whats going to be happening.

I wish the website I bought it from had been more upfront about its behavior, clearly "bold" isnt an accurate description. He isnt that big yet, probably barely over 2 inches, so I feel like he wont be a destructive force....yet. Especially being the last added. The goby is quite fast and has his large dorsal spine, isnt that somewhat of a deterent (also has small live rock crevices to get into)? Im not worried about the hermit...hes absolutely massive for a hermit crab, although I am afraid for the new snails.

So basically at that size, is there a chance he'll at least not eat things while being pretty before it has to be sold back when he gets bigger?

Bigpapa

Well that makes me unhappy, wrasse is already in there. It's actually my dads tank so you can tell me whats going to be happening.

I wish the website I bought it from had been more upfront about its behavior, clearly "bold" isnt an accurate description. He isnt that big yet, probably barely over 2 inches, so I feel like he wont be a destructive force....yet. Especially being the last added. The goby is quite fast and has his large dorsal spine, isnt that somewhat of a deterent (also has small live rock crevices to get into)? Im not worried about the hermit...hes absolutely massive for a hermit crab, although I am afraid for the new snails.

So basically at that size, is there a chance he'll at least not eat things while being pretty before it has to be sold back when he gets bigger?

I got mine when he was about 3 inches and in 6 months he reached about 6. He ate any snail, clam(expensive dinner), crab, coral he wanted to. I just recently gave him up to someone who had a large fish tank with a puffer. I had to dismantle my whole setup to get him out.

jesslenard

I have had a lunar wrasse in my 65 gallon tank for about 2 years. I already had a decent sized blenny in there-about 4". The wrasse and blenny got along fine. Neither one of them even seemed to notice each other. Eventually, the blenny died. I don't believe it had anything to do with the wrasse. Not knowing I was actually kind of lucky that the 2 fish got along and that the wrasse could potentially be aggressive, my boyfriend surprised me one day and put a sweet little mandarin in the tank. I was worried. I thought for sure the mandarin would be eaten within a few days. To my surprise, a year later, both fish are fine. The wrasse doesn't seem to care at all that there is another fish in there. In fact, sometimes they swim so close to each other, they actually brush up against each other. It doesn't seem to be an aggressive act. I realize my wrasse is particularly gentle. Wrasses get a bad wrap and I just want to say, it really depends on the individual fish. My tanks has LOTS of copepods to keep the mandarin well fed. I feed the wrasse dried shrimp a few times a week. I think this keeps him happy and full bellied as well. I would say my wrasse gets aggressive when I put shrimp in the tank but as far as other fish, he seems perfectly content to have a bud in there with him.

saltysue

I have lunar wrasses in a Community fowlr tank. I dont have any trouble with him and i have had it for a year. When i put any other species of fish in the tank he pretty much ignores it and if its a wrasse I make sure to rearrange the LR before i bring the new fish into the tank, as soon as im finished moving the rockwork i add the new wrasse in. Its normal for mine to chase and establish dominace for about 3 or 4 days then it settles down . I have a 6 foot tank with lots of LR structures so the other fish will quickly learn escape routes, caves, hiding areas etc. I also put food into the tank before i add in a new fish , then after i put the fish in i add small amounts of food to distract the fish from bothering the new comer, very small amounts more like a treat portion than feeding. My wrasse is adult now and has not killed any other fish even other wrasses. I like the lunare wrasse, very active swimmer and the colors are amazing for the price. I also like the size it will attain. I keep other wrasses such as bird wrasse and blue head wrasse. No problems so far after 6 to 12 months . I keep humu trigger, niger trigger, birdwrasse, blue head, clowns, tangs ,cardinals and damsels with this fish and everybody gets along nobody found dead yet.

Robzilla

Mine was an absolute terror and I got rid of him. Even completely redoing the rockscape did nothing.

saltysue

mine is about 5 to 6 inches and developed full color and getting the heavier body of an adult fish. If he is not killing anything yet you think i might be safe with him. not sure if it means anything with behavior but i also bought him a juvie mate that is staying female so far. At first i thought it was gonna kill it but now after a couple months it seems ok with it and doesnot chase it anymore at all. It doesnt chase anything to be honest but will nip or lunge at somebody who makes it mad, they clear out and disaster adverted LOL.