Lunar wrasse?

Annie742

I saw one at the pet store and it is just beautiful!!!
But after reading about it on the net it seems to be a very aggresive fish.
Anyone had one before? I couldn't get over how pretty it was!!! If one were to get one what else could you keep with it? I'm guessing nothing LOL.
The price was good too.

Have my 90 set up but nothing in it yet. And I mean NOTHING, just the salt.
I'm going to get some live rock (not a lot) to get the cycle going. So I'm still looking into fish.

I just can't seem to make up my mind. If I want slow moving fish or some fast ones. All I know is I want lots of color, and the Lunar was the perfect color. But I don't want just one fish :confused:

Reelheel

Hi Annie, I've had a lunare wrasse...very pretty fish indeed. They are rather aggressive, and have the tendency to pick on other similar or smaller fish, as well as inverts (snails,crabs,shrimp). They are OK for fish only tanks, but you're probably only going to have success keeping other large aggressive fish with it (think triggers/lions/tangs/big angels, ect). Unfortunately, your tank size doesn't lend itself to being the best environment for these larger fish, so you may want to invest in a different starter fish. Or just understand that you may have trouble finding suitable tankmates for the lunare.
I think if I were to have another "fish only" tank, I'd still keep "reef-type" fish, because I'm a big fan of small, colorful, relatively peaceful fish. Many of the typical "fish-only" residents don't fit this description.

Annie742

Thanks.
I still have a while before I get anyfish so I'll just keep looking :)

But they sure are pretty!! Right now I'm not really sure of anything I'm going to put in there. If I see another fish and after reading I'll post yet another question for personal experiences (think I spelt that right LOL)
Oh so many fish and such small aquariums :smack:

Reelheel

Yep, picking fish for a tank almost becomes an art. There's no substitute for experience and education, so please continue to research...you're on the right track!
Feel free to post descriptions/qualities that you think you'd want (i.e. color, size, temperament, bottom dweller, free swimmer, personality, etc.) and I'd be more than happy to give you some suggestions.
For example, if you told me you'd like a small fish, that is bright yellow, is mild-mannered, and always stays out in the open, I'd probably suggest:
1) Canary fang blenny - cool shape, bright yellow, always hovering about, etc.
2) Yellow "coris" wrasse - not a true coris...stays small and non-aggressive..will eat nuisance flatworms, always swimming, bright yellow, etc.
These are fish that I would recommend for almost any tank...and there's more where that came from ;)
Just let us know when you need a hand and we'll do our best to help you out!

Annie742

I love the lion fish but don't think I'll be getting one. Don't really care for the dwarf ones and was advised the big one I liked. prob wouldn't be comfy in my tank.

Sooooo I'm thinking smaller fish. I seen a dwarf angel (Flame Angel) I really like but I know I can't add it until my tank is more mature.
I prob will work around this one.

I have my tank background painted black, so I want some really bright fish to contrast with it :)
Still deciding on what to put on the bottom of the tank, and I do want some sand or something. Don't like the look of the BB tanks.
This will be a FO, I want NO coral in there.

Witfull

they are a very active swimmer needing a long tank to be truely happy. as stated, they are aggressive to others. i never had one for that reason. i was tempted with a beatiful one not to long ago at the LFS, but after ReefDave told me the fishes murder in the first rap sheet,,,i left him at the store!

satch12

lunare wrasse are sweet but like you said they are very agressive and get worse with age. and another bad thing is that they like to jump out of the tank when i had one it jumped out 2 different times before i finally decided to put covers on my tank

Annie742

Thanks Woodstock.
I don't understand why people don't look into the fish they want before thay get them. If not just for the fish's sake but look at the money they put into them just so something could kill it or it kill another fish!! Well I guess the saying " A fool and his money are soon parted " pretty muchs says it all, LOL.

Yarr

My Lunar Wrasse rocks. I made the mistake when i was first setting my tank up to get some Humbug damsels. Pests of things really.. anyhow.. the wrasse annoys the damsels to death. its great to watch them chasing eachother around the tank. He bothers none of the clowns or anything else in the tank.

Yarr

hah its funny as hell to watch. he damsel will go up and annoy him and the wrasse in turn chasing him around the tank for about 5 minutes :D

BHinAK

Yarr and I have PM'd about our Lunars. They are built for speed. Mine eats mysis just like he is in the wild. He'll grab one in his mouth and beat it on a rock a few times (to kill it I guess) then eat it. I've had him about 1 1/2 months and now just last week he started eating flake from my finger tips with the Ref (my Sailfin). When I don't feed for 2 days hes a bullet after the flakes. Loves exploring the cracks between the rocks.

He lives with 6 diffrent species of puffers in a 72g bow. (How many fish do you have thread)

redcycling

Purchased a lunare wrasse five days ago as addition to an established tank that has been together with no casualities for about a year. The first day the wrasse hid in the live rock, second day it was chased by the brown tang, third there seemed some peace until the wrasse circled the midas blennie with just its head poking out of its hole - pulled the blennie out of the hole and they tangled a bit, no damage done. Fourth day my dwarf angel and flame hawk chased the wrasse around a bit and the blennie was a little more careful keeping an eye on the wrasse - my clowns seem a lot more active and on the fifth day all seems well.
Territory is important aka space - as long as I keep the wrasse happy with some frozen shrimp and other meaty treats I am sure that all will be well. I have a hermit and puffer living together so the wrasse just adds to the complex flavor of the tank. If things change I will update but I believe all will be well.

fish cowboy

I had a lunar wrasse for years. He was very pretty and also a nipper. He tortured my sailfin tang by nipping at him. His poor sail was a wreck. Finally I found him on the floor. He had jumped. It was sad. I said I would not get another one. Two months ago I stumbled across a rainbow wrasse. They are from the same family. Well I could not help it and bought him. I knew he was going to be in a 125 gallon tank with a big six bar angel, pink tail trigger and large tang. He seems less aggressive than the old lunar wrasse. I keep him well feed with meaty krill. He has been a pleasure. If you like this type of wrasse a rainbow wrasse might be a good fit. He is an active swimmer and very colorfull. Good luck.

novanosis

I grabbed a lunar for $12 just for him to clean up on the pods and little buggers. If I don't see him being happy ill just give it to my friend in a 46 gal.