"Lunar" LED lights and bleaching?

Gyr

My PC light fixture has LED Lunar lights on it. It creates a nice nocturnal effect, but I have noticed that my Lobo brain coral has developed regional bleaching right where one of these LED's was shining. The Lobo is about halfway down in the 55 gallon tank, and is under PC's (total watts = 260), so I doubt its bleaching is from too-intense lighting during the 'daylight' cycle. I don't know much about LED's, but had assumed their intensity was negligible. Has anyone else experienced similar effects, or is it just coincidence that my lobo is so pale right where the LED was shining (the rest of the Lobo looks fine).
Thanks,
Gyr

michael_cb_125

I dont think that the LED is bleaching your coral. I have a Lobo brain under two 250 watt MH, and many T5s. I have 10.5 watts per gallon. I have alot of light!! My brain has done very well. The light the LED produces is very dim (Moonlight) and should not bleach any coral. Plus your PC lights should not bleach it either. Lobophyllia Brains are light loving brains. They need moderate to high lighting. Have you checked your water parameters? Bleaching is not only caused by light, but also less-than-aqdequate water quality.

Gyr

I've checked the water parameters several times since I noticed the probelm and they have all been fine (KH = 9-11, pH = 8.3, salinity = 1.022-1.024, nitrate = 0, Phos = 0, temp = 78). Don't know how else to explain it, so I'm grasping at straws with the LED theory.

michael_cb_125

Is the coral in an area of high flow? Brains dont like super high flow. I really dont think that the LED would bleach a coral. They just arent bright enough. Maybe you could try turning off the LED for a while, and see if the coral heals. We need a Pro to help us. Somebody help please!!!!!

Frankie

RS STAFF
It all really depends on the nanometers with LED's.
I would just move the coral and see if it's color comes back out from under the light. It could very well just be sensitive to such a narrow beam of light.
LED's are kinda like mini spot lights directing most of there output in one spot unlike our fluorescents and MH bulbs.