Lucky's New Nano

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
As most of you already know I moved to Northern Virginia for almost a year for a job (big mistake). In the process I had to sell off my 40g breeder and sent my drygoods off to my LFS to be sold.
So now that I am back home in Florida, I stopped by my LFS today (the Fish Bowl in Longwood, FL) to check up on my buddy Greg. He knew I didn't have a tank yet and as a welcome gift he gave me a Via-Aqua 11 Gallon set up. So now comes the fun stuff.

Specs:
Via-Aqua 11 Gallon Nano
15 inches in length
9.75 inches in width
17.75 inches in height
18 watt PC actinic
18 watt PC 100k daylight
HOB Filter converted to a fuge

The first wet run is a success and boy is this thing quiet! I plan on keeping it on a nook in my kitchen since my art studio is so damn hot during the day. Besides, oil paint and saltwater don't mix. ;)

So far I am thinking perhaps I should look into devoting this tank to native Florida flora and fauna to help motivate my art. However, I am sure my 2 year old son will have something to say about that (and that something comes in the form of a nasty little four letter word... "Nemo, daddy. NEMO!") So I am thinking aquacultured Florida rock with the hopes of getting some purple gorgonian like I had before the move along with some other Florida goodies. I would love to get a pair of small gobies and perhaps a banded coral shrimp.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed!
Pics on the way soon, until then here is a generic pic of the aquarium.

Attachments

• AQ-TMLV418H2S.jpg
    AQ-TMLV418H2S.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 133

Gina

RS STAFF
Glad you made it back home safely! What a neat welcome home gift your friend gave you. I guess the only thing that I would try and do if possible is to add a sump to it.

Can't wait to see how you set it up!
Have fun!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome back to Florida!!... just in time for hurricane season :(

Wow! What a nice gift! Those nano set ups are really nice! I am sure you'll have fun stocking it... share some pics with us soon :D

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Thanks you two.
I did think seriously about a sump and wanted to drill the tank to accomodate for more flow. However, I may just go with a hang on back filter to use as a fuge and to hide the heater. While I would like to drill and install a sump, I just don't think Ang will hear of it!
I am thinking about using the undergravel filter as a plenum to help with denitrification, but I am on the fence about it. I really only plan on having one or two small fish and a handfull of inverts, so I wonder if it is even neccessary.

As for the hurricanes, I may add a small UPS system to power the powerheads in the tank. This should keep things going for a while. And if all else fails, my in-laws are installing a whole-house generator in their new home only three miles away.

By the way, if anyone has info on any native Florida coral for sale post a link here!

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Ha! I have thought of that, but since the Keys are protected the best place to go would be around West Palm or Lauderdale. West Palm is only about three hours away so it may be a good idea to do a beach dive to collect.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
I stopped by and Greg had yet more *free* stuff for me. I was able to get free live sand and a few pounds of free Figi live rock to start cycling my tank. The only caveat is that I have to redesign his website for him! I will upload pics of the tank as soon as the silt settles on the bottom.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Yeah, Greg is a good guy who just happens to own the best LFS in Orlando! This guy does 'free beer Fridays' at his store as well as frag auctions and, my personal favorite, Aquari-oke! You spin a wheel after singing karaoke and win a prize (livestock, Mag pump, or whatever sponsor specials he can get)! Very innovative!
He is also letting me turn his dry goods area in the front of the store into a gallery for my reef art. In all, he is just a good guy.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
LOL!! Sounds like fun! :)

Hummm... I will be about in Florida (palm bay/melbourne) for vacation in September... maybe I check his place out!

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Here is the latest on my nano. I spent less than $80 on a heater, digital therm, and a Magfloat which is my total investment in the tank. Everything else you see was given to me by Greg at the Fish Bowl to re-do his website. Once he gets more liverock in I will be definitely adding more. I am almost embarrassed to show it now with the little bit of rock it has!
I am now looking for a relatively flat piece of rock to set on the right side of the tank to form a wall. Since live rock is so scarce here recently, I may just have to settle for small pieces similar to what is in it now and stack them. That should help with flow and give me more places to adhere some softies.

And yes, you DO see a Bio Wheel. Until someone convinces me to take it out, it will stay.
:D

nano1.jpg

Gina

RS STAFF
Don't be embarrased to show off your nano! Looks to be coming along quite nicely! A little more rock would be nice! This guy sounds like he's a pretty good friend. I like the different activities he has for his customers!

KimPossible

Its great to have skills :D ie...painting...website design.
Whats wrong with having a bio wheel? I've got one... and wont take it out until a month or so after my refugium is in place

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Lookin good LuckyInk ! My favorite LFS has the exact same tank with some softies and Seahorses it's a very cool :)

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
This past weekend I had the two 18 watt PCs running for 12 hours a day. On Saturday I noticed the tank got up to 86 degrees! :bouncebox
I asked my wife to run out to the store to find a small and quiet fan to help cool the tank and she came back with a Lakewood High Velocity Personal fan! This little bugger is only about four inches in diameter and pumps a good bit of air out. For now, it is only blowing on the PCs and has got the tank down to 79.2 degrees.
Now all I need is an auto top off solution!

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Posting the progress. I added several more pounds of liverock to the mix and another powerhead. And yes, you DO see a false percula clownfish. I almost regret the decision to add it to tank, but my two year old son made it well worth the heartache.
nanoshot.jpg

nanoshotup.jpg