Lowering Nitrates

lcstorc

It helps to 'polish' the water but does not help in nitrate reduction that I am aware of. Many people run their tanks w/carbon for one week a month just to get that crystal clear look.

Charlie97L

i will second the how many fish and what sizes.

you could also be suffering from overstocking, which often happens in smaller FO systems.

if i ever did a FO system, it wouldn't be less than 200g.

Raf

IMO, I would say good flow and a few good mech filters along with a good skimmer would help. The flow would make certain any fish waste does not sink to the substrate, rather gets picked up by the mech filters for you to remove. You have to remember to service your filters frequently or else the mech filters are just adding to the problem. A good skimmer is also very important as is keeping it in good shape.

Waterchanges are also a good idea but you don't wanna overdo it if you are on a budget like most of us. Chemical means can also help, carbon, nitrate removers can work but the first suggestions I mentioned are best. BTW, the LR idea is a very good one, I have had very little problems with healthy FOWLR tanks when they are equipped with around 0.5 to 1lb of LR per Gallon.

Good luck :)