Lower water in Sump

Susanedw

I have the rms c250. Facing the tank, the right sump side water level is always much lower than the left. Is this normal, is there anything to do to adjust it? It is determined by the media in the media basket? It can get a quarter to half inch lower.

StirCrayzy

I'm no expert on RSM setups, but there is a dedicated forum here, I'm surprised there haven't been any RSM experts chiming in...
All tanks water levels fluctuate by evaporation, and I'm not sure where the RSM will show that, but it sounds like you have more flow resistance (yes maybe media?) or debris on that side. It's also possible the two pumps are not perfectly in tune, but I would clean out the media chamber and make sure it's not getting clogged.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Ok, if we look at the layout of the back of a Max C 250 we can see the reason for this perfectly normal level difference. We have 2 flow pump with equal out put, the one to the left pulls water past the skimmer into the return pump chamber, the one on the right pulls water through the media rack into the return pump chamber, depending on the passage through and past the media rack the flows will be slightly different and this is reflected by the level.

C Max 250-filtration-system.jpg