Low PH

beasone

Ok, first apologies.. I am sure there is an existing answer out here; however, when I use the search, I start reading threads.. and get so caught up in the stories.. my short attention span results in hours later and what was I needing an answer to??

So life is good in our tank today, pretty much anyways, have lost two yellow faced pearly jawfish to a damsel.. so the damsel left us. Now I just have a Percula Clown and some soft corals, until the LFS gets another one of the Pearlies in.

Did a water change last night, and took my numbers this morning.

Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5.0
ammonia 0
PH is at 7.8..

My pumping zenia is shriveling as we speak.. what is the course of action to bring up the PH? why would the PH be low?

A little concerned on the Nitrates not being 0 after a water change.. but I'll worry about that after the PH...

any quick helpful suggestions?

Will be going tomorrow or tuesday to LFS..

beasone

The alkalinity is low. Guess that might be it? I do not have specific detailed tests on those and rely on the LFS. Who did tell us the alkalinity was low, and we have been using reef builder and taking the water to them weekly for more detailed tests. This is the first time I have been able to read a low PH though.

I did test before the lights came on.. early in the day. The Zenia is looking better.. and my salt was a little high so have got that down.

Over all what is usually done to improve PH? Additives? Light has something to do with it? I did not realize that.

I understand that specifics help; I was looking for an overall generic understanding on the causes and solutions of PH, and as I am learning there are too many determining factors in this hobby for anything to be an easy cut and dry. :)

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
When the lights are off and everything in the tank respirates, exhaling CO2, pH will drop. It is usually lowest just before the lights come on and photosynthesis kicks in. A good remedy is to add a refugium, with a light routine opposite the main tank. When the tank is off, the refugium lights are on, and vice versa. That way photosynthesis is always occurring.