Louie (newbie) needs help !

My only experience has been with FOWLR tanks.

I have an empty 25 gal tall glass tank that I will use to setup my very first reef tank. I have no idea how much lighting I am going to need.

any ideas ?

Also, I have noticed that lots of the Jebo light sets on ebay are much much cheaper in price than the other competing lights. What is the word on Jebo ? good, bad quality ?

thanks.

Louie

DaveK

Before you consider lighting, you first must consider what you want to keep in your reef. Then consider the lighting and filtration necessary to maintain it.

Also, each method of lighing has it's own advantages and disadvantages, so there is often on one best answer. This is especially true if you are trying to obtain the best value, rather than the "money is no object" approach.

As for Jebo, I've not had them, so I can't commemt, other than to say you get what you pay for in this area. If a product is a lot cheeper is can be because it's just not as good. At the same time, there are products so expensive that a lower cost one is much more cost effective.

I plan on keeping, or would like to keep a couple of anemonies, and a couple of softies. Not too familiar with the what is what, yet. Also, I am going to get some hermit crabs, snails, one cleaner shrimp and definitely one emerald crab.

As far as as filtration I have a Fluval 204 filter, and will be running a AquaC Remora skimmer, with 15 lbs of live rock and live sand.

time for a real dumb question, remember I am a newbie when it comes to reefs, but what requires more light and what requires less light ?

DaveK

Generally here are some typical lighting requirements for livestock. However, you should check the requirments for the specific animal you want. There are plenty of exceptions, and some overlap.

High light is necessary for most of the clams, SPS corals, and anenomies. Usually this is in the form of MH lighting.

Medium light is necessary for most LPS corals and many soft corals. Usually MH, VHO, or PC lighting is used, with multiple bulbs for VHO and PC.

Low light is usualy used for mushrooms, and zoos. Usually VHO and PC.

Generally you can keep lower light requirement livestock under brighter light, as long as you acclimate them to the more powerfull light over a period of time. Also, low light is still much more light that what is needed for FO or FOWLR systems.

I do not recommend the use of canister filters on reef aquariums. All to often they turn into dirt traps and "nitrate factories". Since canisters must be taken apart to clean them, it is a job often neglected. Then they accumulate dirt, and become a biological filter consumeing oxygen and produceing nitrate. This is undesirable in a reef system.

If you do plan to use a canister filter, it should be cleaned weekly. Double isolation valves on the intake and output from the canister make the cleaning task easier.

One last thought here. The tank is often the cheepest piece of equipment used in a reef system. I recommend that you price out all the other equipment you may need to purchase, and see if you might be better getting a larger tank also, and maybe using the tank you have for a sump or refugium. Just about everyone I know that is into reef aquariums wish they had a larger tank.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Dave gave you some great advice I would also add...get some good books so you can become familiar with corals and their requirements and then decide what lighting you think you'll need. Here's some I would recommend:

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman

Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibilty
by Anthony Calfo, Robert Fenner

Corals: A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung

gussy

I'm familiar with Jebo products as I have JEBO tank and some JEBO filters and pumps. Their lights are not that great for reef, but okay with fishes. They scrimp on parts thats why they are cheap. It's like buying a Hyundia...not a BMW but a lot of people are happy with them.

From one newbie to another. I recently got my 36 gal. aq. finished, as far as liverock and cycling is concerned. Take Dave's advice plan out everything in advance, every possible detail. Here is how i started, I made a decision on what size tank I wanted to begin with, I really wanted like a 90 or 120 but it just did not seem practical to start with something that expensive. I decided wher the aq. would be placed in my home. A good idea is to make sure you have fairly easy access to move arond to clean and all that good stuff. As far as protein skimmers, sumps, filters, heaters,all the equipment; it is best to ask the folks at reef sanc., and maybe the lfs at least it was for me. Some times it is better to spend an extra $40-50 on a particular piece of equipment that has a good reputation of being reliable and efficient than buying something b/c it is cheaper and 3-4 months later say damn I wish I would have bought the other one, this one does not work that well. With lights, and I speak from experience figure out the corals you want to keep well before thinking about lights b/c I am already changing my lights and I don't even have anything in the tank yet other than rock :doh: the guy at the lfs told me the light I have know will be plenty to house any corals I wanted come to find out they are not near enough personally I would recomend MH's if the aq. is arond 40 gal. or more like someone said already corals that need less light can adapt to stronger light with the proper acclimation period. Another major thing to take into consideration is water flow many corals need wicked fast flow others not so much. I hope this was helpful and let us know what you decide.

gussy

Yes, like reefaholic said...better buy good equipment rather than take a chance. I feel that a reef system is too critical to use JEBO stuff right now as they are new to saltwater equipment.

Also dude be sure not to dump your rock in and decide to throw some fish in along with it in the same day. This is a huge no no in most cases, but there are a few dealers I have dealt with in the past that ship the rock so fresh and package it so well that has absolutely no die off when it reaches your door. A lot of places will tell you that when you order their rock, that it has already been cured. Sounds good until you place it in your tank and like the next day your test kit reads you have a tank full of salty ammonia. Not really what you want. Even some fish stores will do the same. They get their rock in the same way you would. They order it and place in a holding tank to cure. At least that's what a few try to say. Some places do a really good job at keeping their word, but there's a few that will tell you the rock has been in their store cycling for about two weeks. While in reality it was shipped in the night before and you could give them money only to let it die off some more in your tank. Take my word for it too man I've bought some! I would reccomend Mike Nichols with Triton Marine out of Tarpon Springs, FL. His website is www.liverocks.com and I promise you that this guy sells what you see on the website. I only order through him. It is shipped live and it arrives overnight to your door with starfish, shrimp, crabs, snails feather dusters, and corralline algae all over it. If you don't want to take my word for it, just private message Reefaholic and ask him. I sat his tank up for yesterday. I ordered him 40 lbs. and he was absolutely blown away when we opened the box. I also sold him two percula clowns and a fairly large torch coral yesterday afternoon. We tested his water today and everything reads PERFECT!!! So, if you like what you see at liverocks.com, email Mike Nichols and tell him Tanner from Cleveland, TN told you about him. He's a cool dude and he sells the best rock I have seen in any store or from any website. Keep us posted with how things are going. Tanner F.

gussy

TBS ships their rocks submerged in water. Unfortunately, I bought from someone else. It's straight from the reef alright...with sponges and other stuff. It started rotting in my tank.

The Camel

Hey Louie,

I have 2 Jebo tank & lite all in one set ups & have 3rd open top from them.

Among the problem with the lights is they are a bit too well fitted on the all in ones & can raise temps a bit. The open top lite arrangement looks really flimsy & like they are going to fall str8 into the tank at any moment (the light is shorter than the tank) but is amazing strong.

I wouldnt recommend there globes tho as they tend to be at the yellower end of the spectrum and also dont last too long. Another draw back is that the sizes are often just a little out so u can onlly buy there products to fit. Unless you want to do a bit of modifying. Which i have in a few areas.

In short, for myself, over time the Jebo lites will be gone but then so will the smaller tanks. all merged into a mega one in at my new house.

jcoopergd

gussy said:
It's like buying a Hyundia...not a BMW but a lot of people are happy with them.

HEY!!! i drive a hyundai!!!!

I like it...but i wouldnt use it to power my tank filtration...heheh..

j