Loud overflow!

WayneL333

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me silence my loud overflow. I have a 30 inch high 300 gallon tank with an internal trapazoid overflow. I have two 1.5" drains on the bottom of the overflow. One draining into my sump and the other one feeding my BK 250 external and refugium.

I don't have the "gurgling" sound problem, just the loud waterfall splashing sound. My questions is can you use standpipes, like the Durso's, in internal overflows or are the used only for external's?

I was considering filling the overflow with bioballs but I am worried about Nitrate problems down the road.

Any suggestions? Many thanks.

jimeluiz

I put a Durso in my internal overflow - vast improvement soundwise. Now it doubles as a refugium of sorts as well.

Gina

RS STAFF
If you have room for them, Yes you can use Dursos.
That's what we did and there is no sound. Very quite.

WayneL333

My next question is that with these standpipes in the overflow, won't a lot of detrivorous waste be caught on the bottom of the overflow?

mps9506

WayneL333 said:
My next question is that with these standpipes in the overflow, won't a lot of detrivorous waste be caught on the bottom of the overflow?
Usually there is so much water moving through there you won't have that problem.