Lots of newly found "things" in tank Killed off trumpet coral :(

Schwa

You have a whole mess of things goin on 1) You need to triple your light output(whatever LFS told you that a 2 bulb t5 fixture is good enough for coral doesnt care about their customers or the animals they sell.)2)You should be changing 10 to 15% of your water monthly at least but ideally every 1 to 2 weeks. 3)Power filters are not really meant for Reef Tanks they harbor Nitrates, For fish only they are ok but definitely not if you are serious about coral throw it away and buy a decent skimmer. these 3 things add up to bad news in a Reef Tank. I would suggest doing a little bit of reading and truly find out just what you need to keep corals successfully. There is enough good info on this forum to to tell you all you need to know. I would read the "new" to saltwater thread from top to bottom its excellent reading

Schwa

Secondly why on earth would you put lemon juice in your tank? That would dangerously drop your PH as lemon juice is an acid.

DesertOrchid

I was just wondering the same thing about the lemon juice?! Do you have apstasia anemones or something that you were using it on??

luvmyryan

I do have aptasia. I was told to squirt lemon juice directly into their "mouths" I ordered pepermint shrimp from the LFS but that has been over a mont and I still dont have them. I have now done two water changes, almost time for #3, tomorrow. My trumpet is actually growing heads back! i am pretty excited!

So yeah or neigh on the hallogen? What else do I need to do to get this umm better?

FYI.... Since Ive been doing these water changes I have coraline growing everywhere! Its on the glass, in the sand and my rock is getting super dark purple! This is a good sign too right?

I do have aptasia. I was told to squirt lemon juice directly into their "mouths" I ordered pepermint shrimp from the LFS but that has been over a mont and I still dont have them. I have now done two water changes, almost time for #3, tomorrow. My trumpet is actually growing heads back! i am pretty excited!

So yeah or neigh on the hallogen? What else do I need to do to get this umm better?

FYI.... Since Ive been doing these water changes I have coraline growing everywhere! Its on the glass, in the sand and my rock is getting super dark purple! This is a good sign too right?

Yes, you can squirt lemon juice (just a tad) onto aptasia. I think people were confused by your wording. You said it like you were just dosing the tank with lemon juice which is what people found confusing. You can also try Aptasia-X or Joe's Juice if you are worried about using lemon juice. Peppermint shrimp will sometimes work...not always though, and they usually won't eat large specimens of aptasia.

The trumpet corals growing heads back is a good indication that you are getting things under control in your tank. Corals increasing in size usually means good tank health. Some will even grow under less than ideal conditions (mushrooms, xenia, etc).

Coralline algae can be a good thing. It is pretty but can become a nuisance. I would go ahead and scrape any of the actual glass. And make sure to keep it trimmed off of corals so it won't smother anything good. I like coraalline algae on my rocks personally but not anywhere else.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Do urself a favor n keep the corraline off the viewing glass. Its a real pain scraping it.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

phantom2991

View attachment 20328
This is another strange creature I found in there!

How did I get all these things in there? I havent added anything new for about three months.
that is an asternia starfish, they will eat coral, but not to the magnitude you are experiencing unless you have a million of them.

I just have a emperor 400, hob. The tank was set up in October 2010, I didnt add fish until December 2010, in November 2010 I added a cleaning crew to make sure the water was "safe" as the lfs said.

Yes I am planning on upgrading if I can get this stuff straightened out. When I bought my fish the lfs knew what size I had, I dont understand why they would sell me the fish, and not just sell me them but recomend them! :cursin:
I just wanna take my fish and put them in a little bowl and run away! lol

I bought what the lfs told me I needed. Im pretty sure they are just leading me in the wrong direction. thats why I came to a forum where I thought the real experts was :)
What about the strange red looking thing thats in the first set of pics? Its the same as the orange thing in the second set, it changes colors.

phantom2991

that is an asternia starfish, they will eat coral, but not to the magnitude you are experiencing unless you have a million of them.

DesertOrchid

asterina starfish as Phantom said....... I've got a lot of them and they never seem to bother any of my corals. Even have some as big as a nickle. All these 'strange' creatures can come in unnoticed/minute on the live rock and develop over time into something we can see roaming around our tanks. After years I still discover new things showing up in/on my rock. Also spores/eggs etc can come in with the fish water and grow in the right tank conditions.... especially macro and micro algae forms. The red in the first pic sure does look like a macro algae of sorts.