lost fish in QTand it wasnt MI(i dont think)

Tru2nr

So I am almost positive I lost a lot of fish to MI so as a result i created a qt to begin hypo and have the DT fallow for 10 weeks....so ive gotten the hypo tank down to 1.020 lowering no more then .002 per day. Yesterday i noticed my one chromis was bearly moving and breathing heavily...this morning i found him on the bottom of the tank with his mouth extruded and his gills were very red. I am try ing to figure out if i should raize up the sg to normal levels and treat with antibiotics before i hypo the tank to ensire there is no MI. Background on the DT diseases...tang appeared to only have MI...white spots and color splotching and then i lost 4 chromises 1 to a MI appearing disease and then the small ones to similar experience like i saw with my chromis all other fishies were lost to the MI appearing disease in a course of 2 weeks...i have a leopard wrasse and a bangaii cardinal left and i dont want to lose them....any ideas would be greatly appreciated otherwise ill continue the hypo treatment

castiel

i think your talking about itch? if so qt your fish and treat them with copper, and leave you DT alone for 8 to 10 weeks before putting the fish back into it.

Tru2nr

Sg 1.020
Amm undetectable
trite undetectable
trate 10
ph 8.0
alk 10

Hypo and a fallow dt is my treatment for MI...so not sure if thechromis just isn't displaying the spots of MI and the hypo stress was just too much for it

fishteen4

Try kordon "ich attack"

Its an herbal treatment, reef safe if u want to use it in your display, and it works really well. It wont harm any of your fish and it really is a good thing to try

oh ick it wil wipe everything out add coppor to ur system( but coppor in ur QT its soooooooooooooo useful and for a QT it perfect)

Tru2nr

No copper I am not a fan of eliminating a fishes immune system...and yes copper to marine fish is a immune supressant

fishguy4

again that ich attack is the best on the market. it will not harm any of your fish in any way. best stuff esp for a reef tank.

redneckgearhead

again that ich attack is the best on the market. it will not harm any of your fish in any way. best stuff esp for a reef tank.

No such thing as a reef safe mi treatment.

While copper may be an immune suppressant cupermine is very safe to use if used as directed. Have u read the stickies on mi? Just because you didn't see spots does not mean they wherent there. They could be showing up and falling off at night before you can see them or they could be in the gills of the fish. With out some way do an autopsie on the fish we are left at guessing as to what killed it. About all you can do now is treat your fish, test your water and hope the rest make it. I do have a quick question regarding your hypo treatment, what is your ph? In hypo it can be tough to control.

leebca

Proceed to lower the salinity/sp. gr. (BTW, you can lower it faster -- you just must not raise it quickly).

A lower salintiy is actually easier for a fish to breath. So, the current situation with the Chromis is not related to the lowering of the sp. gr. Knowing how Chromis are usually (badly) handled in the system, this could just be the end of its captive life. Many die off quickly because they are not handled well by the people who were in charge of it before you got it to your tank.

Tru2nr

Thanks lee! Knowingthe lower SG the easier it's to breathe makes me think either end of captive life or the nodes just weren't showing....I will continue hypo

Tru2nr

I appreciate the response to the thread but as notated more then once I am already proceeding with one of the only few known cures for MI rather then treatments.

leebca

Well said Tru2nr. I'm glad you've chosen the path you're on. Your fish are lucky to have you as their owner.

Tru2nr

Thanks Lee.....BTw the reason for the slow reduction in SG is because the DT is sitting fallow for 11 weeks anyways so slow and steady wins the race lol...that and it will be hard to resist putting them back in the DT a week early...i know reports say 8-10 weeks fallow but i'm having an extra week for safetys sake...the death count that i'm at is haunting me right now...