Looking to upgrade my tank to a red sea reefer425 xl is this a good choice ?

Lesred

Got 200liter tank with external filter looking to upgraded so can keep more corals maybe and easier maintaining so looking at Red Sea reefer 425xl any advice appreciated

DaveK

What you plan is not a bad choice, but a lot comes down to what you want to keep, and what do you want to get out of the system.

For example, if you want a tang in the system, you'll be much better off with a larger and longer tank. If you want SPS corals or clams you might want better lighting that what comes with the system. Some people like to pick and choose every component that goes into their system. If your that kind of person, then an all inclusive Red Sea system may not be for you. On the other hand, if you want something you can just setup and run, a Red Sea system might be just the system for you. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Lesred

What you plan is not a bad choice, but a lot comes down to what you want to keep, and what do you want to get out of the system.

For example, if you want a tang in the system, you'll be much better off with a larger and longer tank. If you want SPS corals or clams you might want better lighting that what comes with the system. Some people like to pick and choose every component that goes into their system. If your that kind of person, then an all inclusive Red Sea system may not be for you. On the other hand, if you want something you can just setup and run, a Red Sea system might be just the system for you. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Lesred

Have 1 regal tang 1 6 stripe wrasse ,coral beauty , 2 clowns 1 sandsifter lots of crabs starfish anemone couple of corals all been in there 2 years plus was also thinking do I need to recycle or can I use water from this tank which would mean a 50% water change in efect thanks

Lesred

Have 1 regal tang 1 6 stripe wrasse ,coral beauty , 2 clowns 1 sandsifter lots of crabs starfish anemone couple of corals all been in there 2 years plus was also thinking do I need to recycle or can I use water from this tank which would mean a 50% water change in efect thanks

Lesred

Only comes with pipe work and sump have lights will get new pump skimmer and was thinking of setting up refugium or adding a alr1algie reactor

DaveK

Consider that a regal tang as an adult has a tank size requirement of about 108 gal (680 l) you will likely need to either get a larger tank or give the fish to someone else.

Your also looking at a lot of equipment upgrades. Since this is the case, consider getting a reef ready tank, and then get all thecomponents you want. You will not save any money here, but you will get a system tuned exactly the way you want.