looking to hookup my chiller questions

angnak

I have a 210 AGA that has two overflows rated at 600 gph. I was thinking of plumbing the aqua medic 1/2 hp 1500 titan straight to one of the overflows and then the out goes up about 1 1/2 - 2 ft up and into the refugium/sump. the other return would just go straight into the refuge. Does this sound like a plan? I fiured that should give me about 400 gph through the chiller. figured that just because I am not pumping 1200 gph back into the tank. It is more like 800 right now. I am thinking of going a little larger on the return pump. I am not to familiar with plumbing up a chiller so I am not sure if this will work or not. Any input would be great. Thanks

mps9506

Only two reasons I wouldn't do it is because you would be risking pushing a lot of junk through the chiller, which you don't want. Then I would also be worried about the resistance from going down to the chiller then, up to the fuge. Not an ideal setup as far as flow goes. You want everything going down :)

angnak

I never thought about the junk falling into the chiller. My tank stays at 80 - 83. Everything is going good, but I always think that it could be better if the temp was down. I really have no other way of putting anywhere else. The next best place would be about 30-40ft away. then get it pumped back to the tank. The pump needed for that would probably be to loud for the family room. How effective are the fans blowing on the water?

mps9506

Fans blowing on the surface are a very effective means of cooling. That's what I had with my last tank. Just hooked up a 4 inch fan to the same power source as the halides so everything cut on at the same time.

lcstorc

Fans are wonderful. They can really make a difference on the temp but they do increase evaporation so be sure to top off often.

tbittner

I think I'm going to hook up my chiller, when it comes in, so the return pump will pump the water through the chiller and then up to the tank.

This way, the water has already been through the drip pan, through the refugium, and has flown into the return area of the sump. Although, it would be nice to figure out a way for copepods to make their way back up into the tank without them needing to go through a pump. Maybe I'll build a ladder for them to just crawl up and dive in. :D

mps9506

I think I'm going to hook up my chiller, when it comes in, so the return pump will pump the water through the chiller and then up to the tank.

This way, the water has already been through the drip pan, through the refugium, and has flown into the return area of the sump. Although, it would be nice to figure out a way for copepods to make their way back up into the tank without them needing to go through a pump. Maybe I'll build a ladder for them to just crawl up and dive in. :D

I wouldn't recomend this unless you are not pumping much water through your sump. I don't know the specs of your chiller, but typically the flow you want going through your chiller is much less than the flow coming from your return pump. I would suggest a smaller dedicated submersible pump to supply water to the chiller.

tbittner

I was thinking of that mps. The recommendation from SeaChill is between 135 - 790 gph. I think what I'll do is put a submersible (something that will pump 400 gph) in the first compartment where the water flowing from the tank flows into. This pump will be under the drip pan so the water will have been filtered. Then pump the water to the chiller and then bring it back into either the same compartment or directly into the refugium. Not sure I like that idea though because I don't want the force of the water to stir up mud and such in the refug area.

What do you think?

From the bottom of the sump to the top of the tank is 4' 4" and the lower flow pumps have trouble pumping up that high. Can anyone recommend a different solution?

Thanks!

mps9506

Ideally you want it setup so that it takes water from one end of the sump and discharges water at the other end of the sump so the chilled water isn't sucked right back up by the chiller pump... If you could have one inlet where you plan and have it discharge near the return pump on the other end of the sump, that would be ideal.
AFA pumps, I would recommend:
EHEIM 1262 Water Pump - 898gph: Premium Aquatics
Ocean Runner 2500 Water Pump - 625gph: Premium Aquatics
QUIET ONE 3000 PUMP 780GPH: Premium Aquatics
MagDrive 700gph Water Pump: Premium Aquatics

HTH
Mike

tbittner

Thanks mps. The more I think about it, the better I like that idea. Pump out of the first compartment, after it's been through the drip box but before the refug, then pump back into the return compartment and bypass the refug for that water. That will also help to reduce the flow through the refug to about 600 gph. I was thinking that 1200 gph through the refug was too much anyway and I was trying to think of ways to route some of the water around it.