Looking for recommendations on LED lighting for 55gal reef tank

PWA

I currently have 4 T5's, I lost most of my corals and fish(long story but don't task your teenager to make salt water) so starting over and thinking I want to swap to LED. I currently just have Zoa's and Polyp's. I want to add some SPS. I won't say price isn't important but I don't mind paying for quality if it going to be make a difference. I may swap to a 90gal tank in the next year or so, so would like the led fixture to be flexibly enough to work with the deeper tank.

What would you get?

Thanks
pwa

Tough call... I've been looking at the multi-chip LEDs recently e.g. Kessil and their type. Those have come a long way in the last few years. Imho you get better performance from a point like light source like MH. But I look at it in terms of coral growth and coloration. Personally I'm looking at a DIY Lumina 5.1 build for my next tank. But there again the top of the line Kessils are kinda comparable to DIY stuff price wise. So yeah.... good luck figuring this out lol :wave:

I currently have 4 T5's, I lost most of my corals and fish(long story but don't task your teenager to make salt water) so starting over and thinking I want to swap to LED. I currently just have Zoa's and Polyp's. I want to add some SPS. I won't say price isn't important but I don't mind paying for quality if it going to be make a difference. I may swap to a 90gal tank in the next year or so, so would like the led fixture to be flexibly enough to work with the deeper tank.

What would you get?

Thanks
pwa

One of my tanks is 60LX24WX26H(water level). I run two Aqua Illumination Hydra's on it. Been very impressed with them thus far. Good light coverage and depth penetration with the standard lenses. Easy to programme.

Look out for the new Hydra58 or might be Hydra52 (keep forgetting)

On my other tank which is 24X24X26 (water depth) I have a Vertex Illumina. This is is also an awesome light for depth penetration the downside is that programming is more complex. The programming can be done via computer but it isn't easy for the computer numpty (like me lol)

DaveK

Considering that a tank upgrade is in your future, and that LED lighting is getting a lot better quickly, I recommend you stick with your existing T5 lighting. It's perfectly fine for the tank you have, and will even grow some SPS corals. Then when you plan and set up your new tank, give the consideration to LED lighting.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Good point about using what you have now. And remember you can always put the higher-light stuff near the top.