Looking for overflow suggestions

jthomps123

I have a 30 gal acrylic im about to reef-out. I'd like to solicit some overflow suggestions. I plan on installing two bulkheads on either side of the tank. Would anyone have any objections to a single standpipe drain L into the bulkhead rather than a full blown overflow? Would I really miss the surface skimming? I plan to keep it lightly stocked with mostly corals. Im going for a 'really' clean install, with the least amount of in-tank oddities as possible. If I could get buy without an overflow box that would be ideal. Here is the layout of the tank.
Should I drill a hole for a top drain, and a bottom hole for a return to get the best circulations? I'd prefer to use the return as the main flow in the tank.
Thanks for any input.

30tank.jpg

Varga

Single sandpipe is not working out for me at all. I got a bigger pump and the drain cannot handle it

rmlevasseur

The beauty of more than one drain is that if one plugs you don't flood.

I think you'd notice lack of surface skimming.

What is an in-tank oddity?

jthomps123

Thanks for the replys. I have 2x 1" bulkheads I can use for this project. Would 2 - 1" stand pipes have a different flow rate than 2 1" drains in an overflow box? Do you guys think a 2 x 1" overflow drain can handle enough drain for a return pump that will provide all the flow for a 30 gal tank?

BTW - in tank oddities to me would be anything that draws your eyes from the 'natural' reef inhabitants. - ie large overflow boxes, powerheads, return pipes etc.

Thanks again for the replies and input!

Jason