Looking for opinions

Harry

Hello everyone,

New member here and this is my first post.

I am in the process of doing my homework and I am interested in any opinions and expereiences any of you may have had.

Within the next couple of months I plan on purchasing my first nano reef system and want to know what the pros and cons (along with any other information you are willing to share) on the following systems I am looking at.

1) Aquapod 12

2) Nanocube 12g DX

3) Oceanic Bio cube 14

4) Nano tuners has a Finnex M tank 20g with a built in refugium that looks interesting but I am affraid it may be to big for where I plan on putting it. I like the idea of the built in refugium, how important is it to have something like that on tanks this small?

5) Any other tanks you may suggest?

I am looking for a system that I won't have to do any modifications to if possible, basically a plug N play system. If any modifications are need what should they be and how important are they?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for any comments you may make.

Harry

Snelly40

from reviews i have heard that the bio-cube is the best tank.
i have a nanocube and i biult a fuge for it. I love the fuge b/c i do have a good bit of things in my tank and the fuge knocks out nitrats like you wouldnt believe.
i also have a skimmer which many poeple thought i wouldnt need on a small tank but mine pulls out tons of gunk.

good luck

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
Sorry, but I have no experience with nanos to help you but wanted to offer a welcome.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS Harry! Like Lynn no help to offer on nanos, coffee, tea or pop perhaps? lol Steve

Dragon Wrasse

Welcome to RS....I have a 5 gal. Nano, that I now use for a Hospital/isolation tank...it has a bult in refugium that used to be the wet/dry filter but now has a light, sand, ruble and Cylurpa....I also have a HOB skimmr on it and a Ehiem canister filter....I still have live rock and argonite sand with some polyps and mushrooms in the main display area but I had taken out the green brittle star and Dwarf Lion that had lived in it for over 2.5 years......I also have 36W of PC lighting 10K and Acentic on timmers.....this system has benn up and running for quite along time, I run carbon and Rowaphose in the canister filter with some floss to polish the water. My two cents would be, to remember that the bigger your water coullmn the better. Hope this is atleast a little help.

aquaman3680

I would deffinatly take the bio-cube any day. They are awesome systems. Good lights an excellent venting system. Very well done filtration. I think that this is the complete package when it comes to nano tanks

BrothaWolf

I love my BioCube! What are you looking to keep? That will help you decide what equipment you might want to add.

Harry

Looking to add 2 to 3 fish and a cleaning crew of hermit crabs, snails, and a cleaner shrimp. Some live rock and corals. I would love an anemone if there is enough room in the 14g and if the light will substain it. I have a person that I work with that will also be helping me with the proper selections. Does the Bio cube need alot of upgrading? I admit I do like what I have read and seen of them.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Snelly the "water column" is the water currently in the tank, one of those scientific terms.Steve

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Harry said:
Looking to add 2 to 3 fish and a cleaning crew of hermit crabs, snails, and a cleaner shrimp. Some live rock and corals. I would love an anemone if there is enough room in the 14g and if the light will substain it. I have a person that I work with that will also be helping me with the proper selections. Does the Bio cube need alot of upgrading? I admit I do like what I have read and seen of them.

You could do a Rock Flower Anemone but I wouldn't recommend any of the hosting anemones, they just get too large for a 14 gal tank and would sting or kill other sessile inverts in the tank and they're very sensitive to fluctuations which are common in small tanks. Also 3 fish is just too much bio-load for such a small volume of water IMHO.