Looking for new sump designs

Devilboy

my tank is coming down, so now would be the time to make a new sump, and probably plumb it different then the way it is now.

Anyone have any good ideas for a sump designs and how the baffles should be placed?

I am looking for a sump around 36" long and less then 15" wide. Is there any glass tank out there with them dimensions? I will make a drawing on what is going thru my head with the sump. But i am sure yall will think that it is wrong, so that why i am asking for everyones ideas....

Thanks for your time...

T

Devilboy

i just pretty much want a simple setup nothing fancy... I want a chamber in the middle for a place just to have cheato, no live rock, no sand. just cheato to export nutrients...

lcstorc

You gotta figure out the tank first. Everything builds from there. Let me go measure my 29s. They may fit.

Devilboy

You gotta figure out the tank first. Everything builds from there. Let me go measure my 29s. They may fit.

I have a 20L in there now. which is 30x12x12

and its too small. my skimmer is too big for the sump. so i need something a little wider and longer.

Devilboy

Ok here is the sketch... i didnt label anything. this is just the basic idea. I will label everything how i want it after while.... but enjoy and critique my ugly sketch....

sump_and_material_done.jpg

lcstorc

Sorry I got pulled away. The 29 looks like the same dimensions as your 20 but it is deeper. 19 1/2 inches tall. That would give you some more water volume. You may need to raise up your skimmer.

Devilboy

Sorry I got pulled away. The 29 looks like the same dimensions as your 20 but it is deeper. 19 1/2 inches tall. That would give you some more water volume. You may need to raise up your skimmer.

ahahaha never work... top of my skimmer cup is a half inch from the bottom of my tank... take a look at my reef chronicle thread the skimmer photo, and notice how close it is to the bottom of the main tank.

lcstorc

Sorry. I forgot about that pic. Too bad. Your stand must be shorter than mine is. The extra water would have been nice. I have 2 29g under my stand and they just fit. I have enough room to take the skimmer cup off and add water. That's about it.

lcstorc

We :bluenod: to linkman. :) I thought there was a bowing smiley but I can't find it. This will have to do. LOL

KodiakBear

Hmmm... no i really havent thought about it.

Is that your horse in the avatar?

I have a Appaloosa and a Palomino. both mares

It's a Saddlebred gelding, more my wife's horse than mine (she being the one holding him in the avatar). I learned how to ride on an appy gelding when I was kid. Sweet horses.
I only mention it 'cause my wife has been trying to convince me to build a stand for my system. I guess I'm in a similar boat with you as I am constantly rearranging my sump and plumbing. When I finally get it the way I want it, then I'll get out the power tools and build a kick-ass stand. I just don't want to build the stand, move everything into it, then think up some better way to run the sump and have to redrill everything!