Looking for a very small protein skimmer!

Newjack

So ive been searching around and the smallest protein skimmer I can find is for 14 gallons. Is there an 8 gallon skimmer out there? If so please drop a link!

Nightfall

Just going to add my 2 cents...I researched for my upcoming project a 10 gallon tank and was actually surprised to be told that if I am doing weekly 10-20% WC (water changes) then a skimmer would be a waste of money that would be better spent on nice coral frags. Dunno if I am being advised correctly or not but if I am and you have an 8 gallon would be same for you.

Steve L

Just going to add my 2 cents...I researched for my upcoming project a 10 gallon tank and was actually surprised to be told that if I am doing weekly 10-20% WC (water changes) then a skimmer would be a waste of money that would be better spent on nice coral frags. Dunno if I am being advised correctly or not but if I am and you have an 8 gallon would be same for you.

That's probably true if the tank has an extremely low bioload meaning no fish. Nano tanks with only corals can get by with water changes only and no filtration. It's a trade-off though. The cost of a skimmer for such a small tank isn't much, and you have to weigh that against the cost of salt (minimal) and the added labor for more frequent water changes.

Newjack

That's probably true if the tank has an extremely low bioload meaning no fish. Nano tanks with only corals can get by with water changes only and no filtration. It's a trade-off though. The cost of a skimmer for such a small tank isn't much, and you have to weigh that against the cost of salt (minimal) and the added labor for more frequent water changes.

Well my nearest store is an hour and a half one way, salt is really expensive here and I plan on having a small bubble tip anemone, a couple clown fish, CuC, and some coral. Do protein skimmers have a min. Amount of space between the canister and sand or can it sit right in the live sand?

Newjack

But then again the water changes is really easy it takes 5 mins with that small of tank and diluting ammonia is working like a charm for my cycling stage. Trying to save my hitch hikers. I got lucky with really good worm eggs and cool little shrimp.